Chapter 67.1- On the Verge (I)

After Mu’er moved to Jing’er’s wing, Jing’er didn’t feel sad anymore. Excited, he personally ordered people to furnish and decorate his younger brother’s room. Yan’er also came over to help, and Mu’er no longer cried. Following behind his elder brother, he took in his bedroom with curiosity.  

Qi Yunruo relaxed. Mu’er indeed was at the age where everything piqued his curiosity. After the pain from being separated from his mother gradually disappeared, he bounced about excitedly throughout his new residence. Come night, Jing’er led him by the hand to pay respects to their father. Jing’er taught his younger brother to kneel properly. Then he kowtowed and said, “Paying respects to Father.”  

Mu’er moved about, unwilling to kneel. Unhappy, Jing’er said, “You have to listen to me! I am the older brother!”  

But Mu’er had already run to Qi Yunruo’s side. Indignant, Jing’er said to Qi Yunruo, “Before he even learns how to walk properly, he already only knows how to run.”   

Smile on his lips, Qi Yunruo said, “Since you are the older brother, you have to be patient with your younger brother.”  

A snort. “If he doesn’t listen to me, then I’ll hit him.”  

At the sound of those words, Mu’er said angrily, “I’ll hit you!”  

“Uncle Little Qi, just look at him!” blurted Jing’er.  

Qi Yunruo couldn’t but laugh. And on Li Chen’s lips was a smile too. At present, it wasn’t busy at the Court of State Ceremonial. However, he ran about all day at the Office of Transmission, the picture of exhaustion.  

Yan’er broke into a smile. “Big Brother mustn’t hit Younger Brother. If you break him, then what?”  

Pouting, Jing’er said, “If he listens to me, then I won’t hit him.”   

In the blink of an eye, two months passed. Prince Qing and Prince Yong rushed back to the capital before the new year. After receiving a firm reprimand from the emperor in the palace, they hung their heads as they returned to their consort-mother’s side.    

Within the Palace of Bright Sun, the empress coldly said, “Back then, you didn’t listen to this palace and competeted for achievements with Prince Qing in the court. Now look what happened!”  

Prince Yong said, “Imperial Mother, you don’t know the circumstances back then. Don’t tell me I had to watch as Prince Qing distinguished himself?” 

“The northwest is a hard bone. If it was that easy to gnaw at, do you think Prince Chun would let you people grab it that easily from his hand?”  

Lowering his head, Prince Yong said in a hateful manner, “Second Imperial Brother is too cunning!”  

“It’s you who are stupid! You’ve achieved nothing this half year! You might as well have remained at the capital and have your princess consort give birth to a legitimate son. Right now, among all the mature princes, only you have yet to have a son.”  

“Doesn’t Second Imperial Brother also not have a legitimate son?” asked Prince Yong.  

The empress felt a headache coming on. “But his eldest son is already five years old.”  

After hesitating for a long time, he approached the empress. “Actually, Son didn’t end up empty-handed during my time in the northwest…”

Within her palace, Noble Consort Yuan said with a headache, “It’s better if you calm down and strengthen your power in the capital.”     

Unconvinced, Prince Qing said, “It’s all Second Imperial Brother’s fault. He didn’t have the ability to suppress these two tribes, so told us to go. Now he’s pleased with himself.”