Chapter 44- Plans Fall Through

After Bo Ge had sent out the letter from Princess Changping, due to a freak combination of factors, it never reached Prince Chun’s hands. This time, he also came with a lot of good will. Among the Qiang people, Bo Ge and his birth mother Gu Li Qiu were part of the pacifist faction. Their tribe also did not supply any troops for the war. As a result, Bo Ge still had some confidence. However, he overlooked the differences between their cultures. In the eyes of the Han, his actions appeared like a warning. And he felt the loathe that was not at all concealed from the gazes of the Han soldiers.

Princess Changping was the Princess Royal of the Han. Her status was distinguished and noble, and she even sacrificed herself in a political marriage in order to bring Great Kang peace and stability. Now, she was treated as an object that could be gifted to anyone by the ugly and boorish Qiang people. So how could these officers and soldiers of the Great State of Kang not detest this? How could they not feel pained?  

As Bo Ge entered Li Chen’s tent, Li Chen was writing a letter. It was to be delivered to Ji Huan. If the Qiang hadn’t captured Little Qi, then it was possible that he arrived at Xinyuan Country by following the Yun river. The spies of Xinyuan Country were everywhere. Little Qi was wearing his clothes, conspicuous and honorable. Those spies would definitely capture him if they noticed him.

Never had it crossed Li Chen’s mind that Little Qi was dead. He was definitely somewhere Li Chen didn’t know, waiting for him to find him.  

Bo Ge respectfully said, “This humble prince greats Your Highness, Prince Chun.”  

Li Chen said with indifference, “May the Eldest Prince sit.”  

A smile spread across Bo Ge’s lips. He was proficient in the Han language and had also learned the etiquette of the Han. After he sat, he stated his purpose for being here. He said that from the start, he had been against the Qiang invading Yushu Pass. His smile turned bitter. “At the outset, when this humble prince suggested this to Royal Father, Royal Father and Second Brother both sneered at me. But this humble prince knew clearly that the Qiang were only momentarily brave. Once their drive was exhausted, they would lose their battles. It was impossible for the Qiang to successfully invade Yushu Pass. Your Highness may not know, but during that time, the pro-war faction had pushed aside this humble prince, and had almost ran me out of the royal capital.”  

For a while Li Chen fell silent. Then he said, “Eldest Prince and the Qiang share weal and woe. Now, whatever you say doesn’t matter.”  

“At first, this humble prince and Royal Father did not have this kind of intention,” said Bo Ge. “However, he was led astray by the words of Xinyuan Country’s king, Cheng Sijie. He said he would help Royal Father from the inside. Then the Qiang was suppressed at all sides this time, both within and out. It will be very difficult to reinstate our military power. Cheng Sijie possesses rapacious designs. The Great State of Kang should be more worried about him.”  

“Cheng Sijie?” Li Chen stared at Bo Ge.  

Noticing that Prince Chun did not seem to believe him, Bo Ge rose to his feet. “In the past, this humble prince once received a handwritten letter from Princess Changping to deliver to your honored self’s camp, asking for your cooperation. In the end, you left before the letter reached you. Today the princess wrote a new letter. Once your honored self has read it, you will understand.”    

Li Chen’s expression finally showed a hint of change. The guard by his side went over to receive the letter. Li Chen opened it. Skimmed through the letter.

Bo Ge’s heart raced as Li Chen said, “This prince must meet with the princess.”  

However, Bo Ge’s expression proved very hesitant. “If Your Highness only brings your personal guards into the royal capital…”