Chapter 70.2

Qi Yunruo shared a close relationship with Jing’er, Yan’er, and Mu’er. The little princess Ying’er was still too young and thus not sensible. Only Chu’er continued to keep a distance from Qi Yunruo, and had some conflict with him. In the evening, as he ate a meal alone in the main chamber, Chu’er entered and asked, “When will Father return?”

Qi Yunruo said, “Once your father finishes with what he needs to do, he will summon Chu’er to the palace.”  

“Father is not coming back here?”  

He shook his head. Smiled. “Once you enter the palace, you’ll be able to see your father.”  

To which Chu’er nodded. “I want to bring Younger Sister outside tomorrow.”  

In Ink Lotus Courtyard, Chu’er wasn’t lively and active like the other children. She was always unwilling to play with her younger sister and other siblings. For the most part, she would spend her time inside. Qi Yunruo could not help but ask, “What will you do outside?”

Chu’er looked at him, guarded.  

Inwardly, he sighed with emotion. However, he still smiled. “I can send a few people to follow after you as you carry your sister past the watery corridor.”  

“I want to go to Winter Plum Courtyard with Younger Sister.”  

The smile on Qi Yunruo’s lips stiffened. A moment later, he nodded. “Alright. But may Chu’er tell me what you want to do there?”  

“I heard from the nannies that once we enter the palace, we can’t leave. I want to take a few of my mother’s things.”

Qi Yunruo looked at her. Smiled and nodded.  

Early the next morning, he arranged for people to send Chu’er and her sister to the inner courtyard. Ying’er still did not know what they were doing, but was excited to be going outside. Qi Yunruo watched as they left. Then Lulan walked to him and said, “Her Highness Consort Wei gave Second Prince a bowl of lotus seed congee.”    

Qi Yunruo furrowed his brows.

“However, Her Highness Consort Wei merely left behind the congee and went on her way. She did not say a word.”  

He nodded. “I understand.”  

“Then that congee…”  

“Don’t give it to Mu’er.”  

“This slave knows.” Yet, Lulan’s expression did not relax. She had followed Qi Yunruo for a relatively long time. Naturally, she understood the affection between the emperor and Adjutant Qi. Lowering her head, she sighed. “Sir, you cannot keep being at odds with the two consorts. You need to prepare in advance.”  

He sank into an inescapable exhaustion. Waved dismissively. “Enough. You don’t need to say so much. I already understand.”  

Come noon, Qi Yunruo grew aware that Sacrificial Wine Specialist Wei had come to visit his daughter, yet no one had informed him of this meeting. Chu’er took a few pieces of jewelry Qi Niqun had once used, and when she returned to Ink Lotus Courtyard, her eyes were somewhat red. Qi Yunruo did not miss that when she looking at him, her eyes not only held estrangement, but also traces of hatred. His gaze fell upon the older female servant by her side. That woman had her head lowered, too afraid to look him in the face. But a moment later, she gritted her teeth and did just that, staring straight into Qi Yunruo’s eyes. Yet, he merely clasped his hands behind his back and left in an unhurried pace.

In the evening, Qi Yunruo lay in bed. At long last, he could describe his emotions in one word. And that word was helpless. This wasn’t the first time he and the prince had been separated for so long. But even during the period they had been apart in Xinyuan Country, he was able to persevere relying on the hope that he would one day see the prince again. Now, in the crown prince prince estate, he sensed visible and invisible enemies all around him. However, this time, he could not see any hope. He had never felt so far away from the prince before.