Chapter 42- Envoy

The empress leaned over, and in a soft voice, she said, “This subject dares not claim credit. Imperial Mother was the one who taught Chen’er. Only then was he able to calm His Majesty’s worries, able to defend the territory of the Great State of Kang.”  

The empress dowager smiled. As if she no longer wanted to continue this topic of conversation. But cold sweat suddenly sprang from the empress’ body. Why did Empress Dowager Lan come out of seclusion out of the blue? What did she know? Empress Dowager Lan had shut her doors for seven years. In these seven years, no matter what occurred, she did not make any movements. So why was it now that… Ever since the empress had entered the imperial palace, she had never won a dispute between her and her mother-in-law. Nevertheless, it seemed the empress dowager had grown tired of it in the end and took the initiative to retreat. Only then did the empress have the chance to breathe.  

The last time Princess Consort Chun had begged her, the empress had promptly ran about all over, asking people to persuade the emperor in forgiving Li Chen. However, the empress’ action made others believe  the rumors. The more people the empress requested help from, the more people found it suspicious. Finally, people found Li Chen licentious and incompetent, only able to rely on his mother and wife to do things for him.  

After Empress Dowager Lan left the Palace of Merciful Peace, huge waves rocked the whole capital. All at once, the Zhou and Yuan families grew silent as winter. Those officials that had accused the empress dowager of intervening in politics in the past inevitably felt anxious. There were also some who weren’t sensible and thought that since the empress dowager was already old, she wouldn’t be able to do much.  

Every day, the emperor paid respects to the empress dowager in the morning and the evening. The relationship between mother and son seemed joyous and harmonious. Others could not discern anything wrong.  

The second day after Empress Dowager Lan came out of seclusion, all the rumors regarding Prince Chun vanished. She had not even uttered one word.

Xinyuan Country.    

Almost daily, Cheng Sijie had to listen to the conversation between Tan Qiao and Feng Qiang. A few days later, he sighed with regret as he said, “After those two removed me from power, they’ve already fallen out with each other in a few days.”

After staying in that residence for three to four days, Qi Yunruo and Cheng Sijie only thought of how to escape. But once Cheng Sijie had listened to that conversation with much interest and excitement, he remained to listen to another. Qi Yunruo could not help but suspect Cheng Sijie had thought up an escape plan since long ago, and was completely prepared. He did not place Tang Qiao and Feng Qiang in his eyes at the slightest.

However, Cheng Sijie was flabbergasted. “Why do you think this? My subordinates have been either captured or put under control. Tan Qiao and Feng Qiang can have my life at any moment.”   

Enraged, Qi Yunruo shoveled food into his mouth.  

“It’s almost been two years since I’ve been away from this country,” said Cheng Sijie in a leisurely manner. “In these two years, Tan Qiao controlled the court. Those subjects could continue on even without me. Xinyuan Country has a small army. Moreover, for the most part the army is stationed at the border. I cannot summon them here.”  

Qi Yunruo furrowed his brows. “Don’t tell me you really will just stay here and wait for your death?”  

Cheng Sijie’s face no longer had its frivolous appearance from prior. He slowly said, “What I’m waiting for isn’t death.”  

Qi Yunruo was somewhat at a loss. Until he remembered what kind of person Cheng Sijie was.  Then he more or less understood. “You’re waiting for Tan Qiao to realize he can’t handle all of the nation’s affairs? That they need you?”