Chapter 73.1- Imperial Concubines

After Li Chen had mentioned during court whom he wanted to make his empress, it sure enough gave rise to a commotion. Calm, he listened as everyone in the palace hall reacted, from an initial buzz to the sound of them kowtowing and begging.  

"Your Majesty, begging you to think of this more."  

"Your Majesty, since ancient times, there has never been a male empress!"

Yet Li Chen replied in a dull manner, "The ancients say, 'A dowry escort of the wife can become the new wife after the prior's passing.' When We were still a prince of the first rank, we took Miss Qi as a wife, with her younger brother as the dowry escort. After Miss Qi passed away, the dowry escort should become the wife."   

"Your Majesty, this is an old custom from hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago. Nowadays, no one follows it anymore. A gentleman must not have a concubine as a wife. Moreover, in wealthy and noble families at present, the status of a dowry escort cannot even compare to a concubine's."

Li Chen smiled. "Speaking of which, the saying 'a concubine cannot become a wife' is a rule from the Spring and Autumn Period."  

While Ji Huan watched as Li Chen countered each word of the civil and martial officials, Li Chen slowly declared that court had concluded. Ji Huan did not know how he ended up outside the great hall. A gust of cold wind, and his mind cleared. Once he had left the palace, he instructed his carriage driver to take him directly to the crown prince's estate.   

When Ji Huan saw Qi Yunruo, Qi Yunruo had just ordered the servants to take advantage of the sunny weather and bring the books outside to soak up some sun. Ji Huan asked, "Do you know what the emperor said in court today?"  

Calm, Qi Yunruo laughed. "Yes."  

Ji Huan took a seat. A sigh left his lips. "I was truly frightened today."  

"Did they start to make a huge fuss today?"  

"It's not just making a fuss," said Ji Huan. "Once the emperor had said such words, everyone jumped from fear. After that, the senior officials of the Imperial Censorate and Hanlin Academy exploded. Thankfully, none of them tried killing themselves by slamming their heads into the pillars..."  

"Sir!" Lulan rushed over in a panic. "Sir, there's suddenly a large crowd of people outside the crown prince estate. They say they want to speak to you."  

Worried, Ji Huan looked at Qi Yunruo. To which Qi Yunruo said indifferently, "Invite them to Lakeside View House."  

He rose to his feet. Ji Huan reached out for his hand and said, "I'll accompany you there."  

"...No need. Brother Ji, I can take care of this myself." If Ji Huan appeared now, it was extremely possible others would think of him as a sycophant. Would think he paid no heed to the rules of the secular world, only caring about what the emperor wanted and supporting those views whether or not such views were good or evil. Qi Yunruo did not want to make things difficult for Ji Huan.  

But Ji Huan resolutely shook his head. "Little Qi, right now, there is only me by your side. I can't hide."  

Although it was true that after Qi Yunruo had become the adjutant of the crown prince estate, he could represent the estate when going out, he had not gone outside to socialize with others that many times. Prince Chun's estate had closed its doors for half a year, and after Prince Chun became the crown prince, they grew all the more low-profiled. What made it hard for others to forget Qi Yunruo was when Su Yuan searched the estate, and Qi Yunruo brought people to block the doors of Li Chen's inner study. Then evidence against Su Yuan was found and brought to the imperial palace.