Chapter 40- So-called Members of the Council

Once Yuan Feiyu and the people with him had stepped foot within the palace, they were stripped of their weapons and imprisoned somewhere else. Cheng Sijie was detained in the residence that Feng Qiang had been imprisoned in prior. Unperturbed, he as a king had become a prisoner. It seemed he had adapted to these circumstances.

A maidservant of the Qi ethnicity brought his meal. A smile on his lips, Cheng Sijie expressed his thanks.

At this moment, Cha He had only brought a few of Cheng Sijie’s guards as they rode their horses in a grandiose manner. Their destination: the household of an old subject named Shangguan Yao. At the front doors, he yelled, “This subordinate is His Highness’ personally-decreed member of the Qiang council, and asks for audience with Sir Shangguan.”  

He paraded himself ostentatiously about since the beginning, attracting the gazes of many. Someone said in a low voice, “A member of the Qiang council? What is this?”

“I’ve never heard of this official position before…”

Cha He pulled the reins tightly. Scanned his surroundings. Then he took out an official seal, shouting, “This one possesses His Highness’ support, and is in charge of investigating important matters of the Qiang people and relaying it back to our country.”

A spy! He was a spy sent by His Highness! The moment the crowd started to grow impassioned and loud, the doors of the Shangguan family’s estate opened. The gatekeeper said, “Our master has invited your honored self in.”  

Cha He dismounted his horse. He tilted his head high. Straightened his back. Qi Yunruo was hidden among the imperial guards, pulling down the hood of his cloak and following them inside.

Shangguan Yao was over sixty years old with a head full of white hair. However, he was very energetic. He examined Cha He. Cha He met his gaze calmly. Shangguan Yao said, “Gentlemen, this subordinate is not responsible for matters concerning the ‘members of the council’…”  

Qi Yunruo said, “Sir Shangguan, We are merely waiting to receive His Highness’ order. The Great State of Kang has besieged the Qiang people. The Western Owl tribe has taken a devastating decline. Bo Tu Ke’s position is unstable. Therefore, he is requesting help from His Highness. We suddenly could not contact His Highness, and could only return here. We have just heard that His Highness received heavy injuries, and Prime Minister Tan took over the affairs of the nation.”

It was uncertain how much Shangguan Yao actually believed them. His gaze fell upon Qi Yunruo for a long period. Then he asked, “Since this is the case, why have these gentlemen come to my estate and not visit Prime Minister Tan’s instead?”

Qi Yunruo smiled. He lowered his head and gave a light cough. “This subordinate has once heard His Highness say that Prime Minister Tan is a literati. While caution is wise, being too conservative and refusing to change would prove foolhardy. In the past, Sir Shangguan took a post as the Grand Commandant, not only proficient in internal affairs of the state, but also very knowledgeable about the situations of the Qiang people and the Great State of Kang. Your honored self is someone who can make decisions in this matter.”

A trace of a smile revealed itself on Shangguan Yao’s face. “Ai, I’m already old…”  Then he looked at Qi Yunruo again. “Does your family have someone working in the court as an official? You look familiar.”  

Qi Yunruo’s heart chilled. “This subordinate is of civilian birth and has run about outside the nation.”

Shangguan Yao grunted in acknowledgment, nodding.  

Their group was so loud in their march that everyone knew they were headed to the Shangguan family’s estate. Tan Qiao and Feng Qiang naturally also heard this news. Tan Qiao said, “Shangguan Yao would certainly send them into the palace. We should prepare ourselves.”