Chapter 73.2

After Ji Huan had left, Qi Yunruo remained alone in Lakeside View House drinking tea. Li Chen and the children were not present. So in his opinion, there was no difference between living in Ink Lotus Courtyard and living in Lakeside View House.    

But a moment later, Consort Ji rushed in screaming, “Where is Ji Huan?”  

With indifference, he replied, “Brother Ji just left.”  

Consort Ji looked at Qi Yunruo. She had yet to know about the shocking matter that had just occurred in the court. Just the affairs of her two younger brothers were enough to vex her. Consort Ji said, “Just when is the emperor summoning us into the palace?” Once she was there, she would have the opportunity to meet the emperor and plea for leniency.

But Qi Yunruo remained silent, causing Consort Ji to tremble with fear. “Will the emperor demote me?”  

Qi Yunruo stayed silent for a while, before moving his train of thought from the people earlier to what was happening now. “Consort Ji, right after the emperor ascended the throne, you brought shame against his name.”  

Originally, Consort Ji had been resentful toward her younger brothers, but once she heard Ji Huan’s name, she transferred her resentment to him. A moment ago, Consort Ji had been nervous. But after hearing Qi Yunruo’s words, her apprehension vanished completely, transforming into overbearing rage as she walked to him. “Adjutant Qi! What kind of qualifications do you have to say this?! No matter what, this is between the emperor and myself. It has nothing to do with you!”  

Qi Yunruo had a headache. “Consort Ji, please don’t cause any more trouble. The harem must not interfere with court politics. Currently, the emperor does not have time to deal with you.”  

“Qi Yunruo!”  

Qi Yunruo and Consort Ji were both startled from the voice, that of Consort Wei. With the support of her servant girl’s hand, Consort Wei shook with anger. Indeed, her whole body trembled.

Qi Yunruo furrowed his brows. Yet Consort Ji subconsciously found it laughable. Apparently, she did not know why Consort Wei wanted to yell at Qi Yunruo.  

As if she had not seen Consort Ji, Consort Wei shook off Xiao Qiao’s hand after entering the room. Slowly, she made her way before Qi Yunruo, tone cold as ice, a hiss of chill escaping. He sat on a chair as Consort Wei faintly bent down, gaze filled with an unprecedented gloominess and coldness. “Qi Yunruo… you truly are capable!”  

Qi Yunruo looked at her, tranquil in his action.  

Even Consort Ji could see something was wrong. “Younger Sister Consort Wei, what happened?”  

“What happened?” Consort Wei sneered again and again. “Elder Sister! From the way you look, you must not know. But our emperor is already preparing to establish an empress!”  

Consort Ji fell into a daze. It appeared as if the future empress was not herself or Consort Wei. In a frantic manner, Consort Ji turned to look at Qi Yunruo. “Is it someone you recommended?”  

Consort Wei stood up straight, looking at Consort Ji with a sneer. “No! Elder Sister, the person His Majesty is preparing to make his empress is him—” She jabbed a finger toward Qi Yunruo. “You didn’t hear this wrong! The emperor would rather confer a man the position of empress!”  

Consort Ji screamed, shrill to the ears, “This can’t be possible!”  

Never had Consort Wei provoked anyone on the surface. She had wholeheartedly schemed to become the empress, persuading her father to have the officials recommend her. Yet, who would have thought that shortly after, she would receive the news? The emperor had never seen her as a choice to begin with. It had also never crossed his mind to take a new main consort from an influential and large family. Instead, he wanted to make Qi Yunruo the empress! Before she could take revenge for him seizing her son, hatred had already swallowed up her heart. Losing all reason, she had traveled to Lakeside View House.