Chapter 41- Empress Dowager Lan

Cha He laughed grimly and glanced at Shangguan Yao. Then he made his leave.

Once Qi Yunruo had reached Shangguan Yao’s side, he sat down. Looked at the other party. He couldn’t help but think that Shangguan Yao had betrayed Cheng Sijie. However, he had not been courteous toward Tan Qiao yesterday, and he did not seem afraid of him.  

Shangguan Yao took note of his gaze. He leisurely said, “On what occasion would the Qi family of the Great State of Kang worry about the king of Xinyuan Country?”  

Fear struck Qi Yunruo’s heart. Shangguan Yao said, “In the past I had been in Yushu Pass and saw your grandfather. You resemble him greatly.”

Staring blankly at him, Qi Yunruo said, “I resemble General Qi, Qi Ran, a lot?”

Shangguan Yao nodded. He studied the youth. “When I had first laid eyes on you, I didn’t get that impression. But the more I look at you, the more I think you look like him.”

Qi Yunruo lowered his head. What lay on his mind was anyone’s guess. A while later, he asked, “Since your honored self knows my identity, then you should understand that I am not a spy of Xinyuan Country.”

Shangguan Yao could already hear loud yells outside. “If you’re not, then you’re not.”

After another long pause, Cha He shouted from outside, frightening Qi Yunruo. He asked, “Does your honored self really not worry about King Cheng?”

Loud laughter tumbled from Shangguan Yao’s lips. “His Highness is within the palace. Why would this old man be worried…?” With a crash, the front door split open. Suo Ci stared at the two with a cold gaze.  

Qi Yunruo’s heart tightened in apprehension. But then, Shangguan Yao softly sighed. Suo Ci raised his arm behind him. “Seize them!”   

As Shangguan Yao sipped his tea in a calm manner, the guards tied up Qi Yunruo and shoved him outside the door. Suo Ci said to Shangguan Yao, “Sir Shangguan, you harbored a spy with the intention of conspiring against the state. Your honored self must follow me as well.”

Shangguan Yao set down the teacup. Expression serene. “If Tan Qiao has the confidence, then he should come here and personally tie me up! If he doesn’t… You all get out!”

Suo Ci couldn’t hold back from kicking the small side table down, before spinning on his heel and leaving.  

Tied up and brought outside, Qi Yunruo realized Cha He had successfully escaped. The guards brought him into the palace, and he once again saw Prime Minister Tan, Tan Qiao.   

Cold enough to freeze, Tan Qiao said, “Council member of the Qiang?”  

Qi Yunruo stayed silent. Tan Qiao sneered. “Since this is the case, then escort this Sir Council Member to where His Highness is. And allow them to reminisce properly.”   

People came to grab Qi Yunruo from behind. As they did, Qi Yunruo faintly noticed a red figure at the back of the hall. A beautiful woman. She reclined on a couch, a hand placed on her lower abdomen.   

Cheng Sijie had never expected that his first guest would be Qi Yunruo. The two shared a look. A guard of the Qi ethnicity shoved Qi Yunruo, causing him to stumble. Cheng Sijie went to support him out of reflex, but the youth shook off his hand. And went to sit at another side.

The guard locked the door after stepping foot outside. Cheng Sijie fanned himself. Spreading out his legs, he asked inquisitively, “Why are you here?”

Qi Yunruo slowly replied, “Wasn’t it because of you?”  

Cheng Sijie smiled. “I’ve been stuck here for a few days already. How could I have brought you here? I think you were with Cha He. Has Cha He been captured?”