Chapter 64.1- Making a Quick Retreat Before a Crisis

As Qi Yunruo followed Empress Dowager Lan out, he met many subjects of the emperor who had come to pay respects. Those people saluted Empress Dowager Lan in succession. Her expression was gentle, and she even occasionally paused in her steps to chat with those people. Once Empress Dowager Lan caught sight of a certain civil official in his forties, she stopped walking, making Qi Yunruo stop walking as well. That civil official kowtowed. “This official, Yuan Shidao, pays respect to Your Majesty the empress dowager.”

Empress Dowager Lan flashed Qi Yunruo a smile. “This gentleman is Noble Consort Yuan’s elder brother. Recently, he prepared to take on an eighth concubine. Little Qi, you must remember to prepare a generous congratulatory gift for Sir Yuan once you return to the prince estate.” Then she said to the kneeling and trembling old man, “Sir Yuan, don’t forget to send an invitation card to Prince Chun’s estate.”

Body dripping with cold sweat, Yuan Shidao said, “Your Majesty the empress dowager is joking. How could this humble official dare to disturb His Highness with such a trivial matter?”

But Empress Dowager Lan disagreed. “What are you talking about? You’re a second-rank senior official. The most trivial matters happening in your household are serious matters within the court. Don’t speak of these ‘private matters’ and ‘work matters.’ This grieving one doesn’t want to hear it.”

Qi Yunruo sneaked a peek at the old official. And he felt like the other party was about to cry. Although Yuan Shidao wasn’t the most ruthless in attacking Prince Chun, he was the first to say that Prince Chun detained Princess Consort Chun. That Prince Chun hit her. Taking her time, Empress Dowager Lan said, “Little Qi, let’s go have some tea.”  

“Yes.” The corners of Qi Yunruo’s lips rose. After he glanced at the middle-aged man, he followed after her. Once they took a few steps, Empress Dowager Lan turned around and said, “Sir Yuan, are you taking on that concubine on the sixth or ninth of next month? This grieving one is old and has forgotten.”  

With a bang, Yuan Shidao collapsed onto the ground.  

Leisurely, Empress Dowager Lan brought Qi Yunruo back to the Palace of Merciful Peace. Qi Yunruo couldn’t help but laugh. However, Empress Dowager Lan watched a figure from afar and said, “Someone has come to pick you up.”  

Qi Yunruo also shifted his gaze in that direction. And he saw the prince rushing over. Once he had hastily saluted Empress Dowager Lan, Li Chen hurried to Qi Yunruo and threw his arms around him in an embrace. Embarrassed, Qi Yunruo said, “I’m fine, Your Highness.”   

A sigh left Empress Dowager Lan’s lips. “You truly are a married man now. Once you see your sweetheart, you forget your grandmother.”

Li Chen and Qi Yunruo both kneeled. “Grandson thanks Grandmother for today.”

But Qi Yunruo grew all the more embarrassed from the words “sweetheart.”   

After court had ended, Li Chen looked for the emperor and told him the entirety of Little Qi’s situation. After that, the emperor dismissed him and then summoned Little Qi to the palace. Never had Li Chen imagined that his grandmother would learn of this so quickly, and even bring Little Qi to her own palace. Qi Yunruo said, “Your Highness, I think the emperor didn’t have the intention to give me trouble from the start.”  

Once the emperor’s bestowments arrived, the civil officials’ attacks would stop. This, Qi Yunruo understood. He kowtowed to Empress Dowager Lan again. “This humble official also thanks Empress Dowager. If it weren’t for your honored self, this humble official would have nothing to say at that time.” 

Empress Dowager Lan told them to stand. Then she said, “This grieving one had long since wanted to meet you, yet never had the opportunity. What this grieving one had said in Martial Hero Hall were my true thoughts.”