Chapter 18

...

"Hey, I'm going with a friend to New Court soon, if that's okay?" You asked your grandparents as they sat in the living room reading as they listened to "dream a little dream" on their record player. They only have one record because of how much they played this song.

"That sounds like fun!" Your grandmother retorted as she looked up from her novel.

"Don't be out too late." Your grandfather commented while still staring at his newspaper from this morning.

"Thank you." You said as you started to get ready.

A few moments later, you heard a car honk outside your house.

"Honey, I think that's your friends outside!"

You came out of your room as you, started to grab your things and threw your coat over your shoulder.

"Have fun!" Your grandmother cried as you closed the front door behind you.

You walked closer to the car blocking your driveway to see Robin sitting in the passenger seat weirdly.

"Hey!" You greeted.

"Get in, freak!" She smiled, signaling you to go in the back seat.

You opened the back door to see a familiar face.

"Oh! Hi Dustin." You said—questioning why he was here with Robin.

Dustin, with his wide smile, greeted you as you sat next to him in the back seat.

You were then surprised to see who was sitting next to her.

"You don't mind if Steve and Dustin come along?" She asked.

You looked at Steve as he looked at you through the front view mirror.

"Not at all." You said, giving a slight grin.

Robin and Steve were talking about work related stuff as they played the radio.

You and Dustin were sitting awkwardly next to each other.

"Soo...you know we still have a spot open in Hellfire," he started, trying to divert the weird tension.

"Thank you but...I don't think my grandparents will like me joining, especially if it involves DnD. They think it ruins the mind." You clarified, trying to be friendly.

"That's Bull!" He said. Then the car went silent. I guess it was loud enough for Robin and Steve to stop talking.

"What's bull?" Steve asked, razing a brow at Dustin.

"We're here!" You spoke to divert the conversation. You were a little embarrassed if anyone knew you played the game.

Steve parked, and all of you got out of the car and started to walk to the entrance.

"Are you going to tell me why Dustin yelled "Bull" in the car?" Steve asked, just to you.

"It was nothing. He offered me to join Hellfire." You explained.

"Hellfire! No, don't do that. Just a waste of time." He said.

Dustin must have heard both of you because he whipped his head back to look at both of you.

"It is NOT a waste of time!" He yelled back, trying to defend himself and Hellfire.

You both laughed, looking at his clearly offended face and tone of voice.

Steve stopped laughing and apologized. Dustin was still obviously offended.

You guys walked all around the mall and shopped a little.

"Nacy would love this!" You gasped as you grabbed a dress that would fit Nancy lovely and pointed it out to Robin.

"Yeah, if she had the boobs to fit into it," Robin jokingly commented.

"I'm glad she isn't here right now, or she'll beat the shit out of you," you said jokingly, pushing her slightly as she started breaking out in laughter.

A few moments later, you were walking out of the store.

"You know Nancy Wheeler?" Steve asked.

"Yeah. We've been friends for a long time." You said.

"Huh," he said. Thinking about something.

You looked at him in realization.

"How do you know Nancy Wheeler?" You asked, slightly in shock.

"We used to date a while back, but we broke up." He said. He seemed to be still upset about the instance.

"I'm sorry," you said.

"If you don't mind me asking, why?" You continued.

"Uhh, no, not at all. We were just in uh..different stages mentally." He shrugged.

You nodded. You were trying to think of something nice to say to cheer him up.

"You seem like a pretty nice guy Steve. Any girl would be lucky to have you." You smiled.

He looked at you in awe as you spoke those words.

"Thank you, y/n," he blushed

You just smiled at him.

"Hey! If you are not busy one of these days, maybe we could hang out." he asked, putting up a hand behind his head.

...Oh no.

You looked at him in regret for what you were about to say. However, he read your mind right away. I guess he could tell that you would say no before:

"...just as friends!" he finished. He was quick with that save.

You thought about it.

"Okay." You agreed.

I don't know what Eddie will think of this, but...

His face lit up.

"Great!" He sighed in relief.

You smiled at him, and he smiled back.

You hadn't been able to think about what you and Eddie were. Were you two together? Like romantically? By giving you the necklace, does it make it official? Or is it all just sexual tension? Glad Steve caught on and played it safe until you figured out what you and Eddie were.

I have to talk to him.