Chapter 46

He lifted your hands to his mouth, bringing life back into them.

"When I saw you, lifeless on the floor...I thought I lost you." he whimpered, re-encountering that day when you sacrificed yourself to Vecna—ultimately leaving him to offer his own.

"I. I would do it all over again. If that meant being with you."

Shame started to fill your heart. Your eyes ached.

"I-I." your tongue couldn't form the words. It bothers you that you didn't think about it from his point of view.

"I'm sorry, Eddie. I'm so sorry." you cried. Tears began to roll down your cold cheeks. You remembered that day very vividly—the worst day of your entire existence. You considered ending it because the thought of him not being there beside you left you hopeless. Nothing else mattered.

He'll never be able to live an everyday life...because of me.

He shook his head at you.

"It's not your fault, love," he muttered. His cold hand lightly cupped your face.

He's right. It's not your fault. It was Vecna's. That old bastard Henry Creel. However, you couldn't help to feel remorseful for not fighting hard enough for his sake.

"Eddie." you began lightly. His eyes locked with yours.

"Your the one and...only thing...that keeps the blood running in my veins."

A grin started to peek through when he laid his head against yours.

...

"We should head back," you whisper, your head lifted from his, lightly kissing his head.

"Yeah." he sighed, and in the silence, you both went back to the fire pit.

"From my understanding, you guys wounded Vecna, which gave us some time. But now our time is running low. We have to move soon or-. " Hopper gave the final direction as you and Eddie joined the conversation.

He noticed, pausing his lecture for a moment, eyeing Eddie in particular, but continued with his thought.

"He seemed to react to fire. When I shot that Molotov, his body collapsed." Nancy added.

Hopper nodded his head and took his time to think.

Like a commander, Hopper told everyone their positions. What they would do, and where they would stand.

"Tomorrow...we kill this son of a bitch." Hopper concluded. He sent everyone home but told you and Eddie to wait with him.

Hopper appeared to have more questions about Eddie than you had hoped. Questions whether he was a faithful ally or just one of Vecna's puppets. His reasonings? You didn't question them. You would, too, if you were in his position. A stranger came to talk to one of your most important allies. He didn't have the whole story thoroughly thought out yet.

"I want to talk to the both of you," he demanded, showing no emotion but solemnity. You agreed, and you and Eddie followed him into the cabin in the woods. He grabbed the handle to the door but stopped his motion and whipped his head behind him.

"Alone," he said to Robin and Eleven, trailing close behind. Robin had to tag along because you were her ride home. You, too, looked back at them. They were both unhappy because that meant they had to stay in the cold longer.

As soon as Hopper looked away, Robin stuck her tongue at him. You fought hard not to laugh at her snarky moves.

You three went inside the warm cabin and felt the smoldering energy that radiated off Hopper, like a teacher catching two students skipping class.