The Birthday

"Rudy!" a woman calls, whistling to get Rudy's attention. Rudy. Come on! It's too hot to make me come looking for you," she calls. She bent down to pick up a toy, but jumps when Klaus appears in front of her, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," he said in an American exit.

The woman looks back up cautiously, "Can I help you?"

"Yeah, my car hmm, my car ran out of gas a couple miles back. Eh, I feel like I've been walking forever. Yours is the first house I came to so I was just hoping I could use your phone?" Klaus asked.

"Don't you have a cell phone?" the woman asked in return.

"Huh, yeah," Klaus pulled out his phone, "Battery died. Look, I promise I'm not a serial killer, I just wanna use your phone," he requested.

The woman sighed, "Sure."

"Soo, can I come in?"

"No, I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you," the woman said.

Klaus scowled annoyed, "I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting," he said.

"I'm from Florida," the woman countered.

"Well, that explains it," Klaus says, grabbing her by the throat and looking her in the eye, "Now show me a little southern hospitality. Sweet pea," he compelled. She invited him in and he walks in to see another woman standing in the kitchen frying food.

"I bet you a hundred dollars that dog ran off to a house with air conditioning," the other woman said with her back turned. When she turned around and saw the two at the entrance with Klaus still holding the nape of the neck of the first woman who was sobbing.

"What's going on?" the other woman said in caution.

"Please don't be alarmed. I was told Ray Sutton lives here," Klaus said calmly.

"He's almost never here. He's on the road mostly," the woman at the fryer said.

"But I expect he makes it home, once a month," the two women looked shocked, "That's what I thought. Where is he now?" the woman doesn't answer, "If I have to make you tell me it's going to be infinitely more painful for you. See, this man had made advances towards my sisters and I have three of them, one is my twin. He made advances towards my niece too. He made me angry, he made my twin's husband angry and my brothers angry, so he's my target for my experiment," Klaus says. The two women's eye widen, was that why he came home in immense pain and painful looking welts and gashes all over his skin and looked incredibly pale?

The women shared a look, "I rarely do this, but you have my word both of you will be alive if you tell me. I can tell you are angry with him now," Klaus said, motioning Stefan away, who looked wide eyed in the distance hearing Klaus willingly let someone go. '3 sisters?! And a niece?! How does he have a niece and a nephew?!' he was thinking.

"He's in Toll. It's near the border. A bar called Southern Comfort. It's on Highway 41," the woman on the other side of the kitchen said.

"Thank you," Klaus spoke with a smile and let go of the first woman, but grabbed her chin again, making the other woman tense, "You will not remember me grabbing you by the neck, you and your friend simply helped me find Ray," he compelled. He turned back to the other woman after letting go of the first and shrugged, "Trauma's a bitch, invest in vervain and keep it on you," he said before walking out. "Sorry about your dog!" he called as he exited the house seeing Stefan there.