Cc

Isis

I sat in my busted up Altima, with my heat blasted on 89, playing light music to distract me from what just happened.

It was freezing outside and even inside the house. The weather was extremely bipolar here. One minute it would be raining like hell and the next, it would be burning like hell. There was no winning.

But today, it was cold, a little colder than usual. The windows around the house I lived in were tinted with ice and sat foggy.

Nothing was worse than trying to take a warm bath, and then cold water starts hitting your back.

As expected, the power went out.

Initially, I just figured that some of the eletrical circuits had froze, but I later learned that it was due to me being late on my bill, for the fifth time.

My eyes focused on the little gas I had left in my tank, which only seemed to drop by the minute.

The last thing I wanted was a dead car, especially this late, when I was supposed to work a night shift.

My head turned to the glove department, which i'd been trying to ignore for hours because I was fucking up my health physically and emotionally every time I pulled something out of it.

I even tried to force myself to throw everything out, but I just didn't have it in me. Right now, I needed something. I itched for some sanity.

My nose crinkled a bit before I dragged the hinges down and grabbed a, almost empty, non-labeled bottle.

With no hesitation, I tossed a pill down my throat and put my eyes to rest.

"What the fuck is wrong with me?" I questioned myself before the soothing feeling crept in.

I reclined my seat back, trying to get comfortable enough to sleep while the music continued to fill my ears.

'Said you had a lotta crooks
try to steal your heart

Never really had luck,
couldn't never figure out
how to love, how to love

You had a lot of moments
that didn't last forever

Now you in a corner,
tryna put it together

"How to love," I sung along lowly, wrapping my arms around myself, "How to lov-"

A hard knock connected with my window, snapping my eyes back open.

"AYE!" A voice shouted, a figure looking at me through the glass. "Open up this damn car! It's cold as fuck out hea'"

I groaned in annoyance, rolling my window down to see Jonah with a big puffer jacket zipped so high that you couldn't even see his neck.

"I called you THREE hours ago Jonah!" I fumed, seeing that he had money in his hands, and my temper immediately went down.

"Yea whateva'," He took his time counting about five hundreds before placing it into mine, "Go pay yo' bills."