Ee 2

Asa- Assad

"We got another call on Charles man," Quez informed, chewing abruptly through the phone. "They said he skimming bitches."

I excused myself from the table which sat Sophia, her father, brother, and uncle. The expression on her face screamed irritated, but everyone else seemed to understand when I mouthed 'business'

"Fuck you mean skimming bitches?" It was late night, but all the lights glowing in the dark lit up the golf course enough for everyone to enjoy themselves.

This was definitely something different to me, especially the look of wealth and how people flaunted it in common ways. The most expensive shot tasted the worse.

"You heard what I said!" Quez stammered, "He skimming the body parts off!"

Attitudes like his always made me wish we'd have important conversations like this in person. Regardless, I couldn't comprehend what he was saying.

"Why the hell would an old pimp want to skim the women in his possession?" I thought aloud. Men like Charles only cared about the money so something about this case didn't make sense.

Quez yawned, letting his loud voice follow after. "Maybe he tired of them. Maybe the nigga gone die so he tryna take them wit' him. Maybe he be eating them. Dahmer style."

"Nigga, what?" I pulled the phone away from my ear, wishing I hadn't heard the ignorant shit he spoke.

"This the fifth time someone called in bout' his ass in da past hour! What's crazy is - one of the callers was a girl who use to be in the house. She da only one who ever got da chance to escape. Matta' fact, she tryna meet up and talk 'bout it."

I nodded my head, feeling relieved that there was some sort of light shedded on how we could catch this nigga, but my chest still tightened at the fact that i'd be meeting this mystery girl.

"What's her name?" I asked, curious of who i'd have one on one time with but before he could answer, the phone swiftly hung up.

"Really! Asa?" Sophia held my device tightly, swinging her arms around as she fumed. "In front of my family? I understand you love your job but it's not fair to me. For once, just for once - cut the phone off and engage with me!"

My eyes followed the different directions that she was swishing my phone in, hoping that it wouldn't slip out of her small fingers.

"It was important, yea?" I shortly explained, watching the eyes of everyone else follow her booming voice. "Usually, I don't put work first but-"

"Yes, you do!" She stammered, frustrated. "You can't save every kidnapped person, you can't save every drugged up homeless. You just can't save everyone Asa and that's okay! It doesn't hurt to put the phone down and just focus on us."

I wasn't sure how to feel and I was split half and half about the mindset I should have towards this.

Yea, I could do better giving her my time, but it mattered to me to take care of people. She was right though, this was her event and her family came out to meet me. "Aight."

We went back to the table and instantly her father pulled me aside to have an unneeded conversation.

There was no question that Sophia was spoiled and it was noticed with how quick to their toes everyone was when her pitch went up.