Vv

'Be careful of what you do, and always do what is right. Don't turn off the road of goodness; keep away from evil paths'
Proverbs 4:26-27

Isis
Part I

Uncle Anthony was only staying for a couple of days, so I tried to spend as much time as I could with him, knowing that he was the only truthful family member that I had.

Every day that we've caught up about our lives, we just had to invite Yasmine to the conversation - as if she were here.

It hurt, especially when he brought up things that we use to do as children. He even reminded me of the first time he took us to Disney world, our first time riding bikes, our first day of school together. It just.. hurt.

The only things those conversations did was remind me of Ezekiel and those letters he was hiding, and how every day that I wasn't giving him what he wanted, my only connection to Yasmin was deteriorating.

That's when I started realizing that I was getting too comfortable here. The last thing I wanted to do was fall down a rabbit hole so deep that I wouldn't want to take anything from Asa.

I noticed little things.. the smiling, the staring at him, the thoughts about how I felt better just being around him. All those qualities were distractions that were keeping me from my sister and I couldn't fall for it.

It was hard because I had two voices in my head that fought each other. One would tell me to care about how he'd feel if I betrayed him or enjoyed how things between us were, but the other voice would scream at me not to choose some man over my blood.

But he wasn't just some man to me. I genuinely liked his soul. I liked him.

"The hell is wrong with you?" Asa shouted from the living room, shaking me out of my thoughts.

All morning, he and King had been arguing about little stuff, which lead to a more intense discussion.

The first thing they argued about was King bringing weapons into the house.

The second thing was about the fact that King kept smoking and eating all the food in the fridge.

The third thing is when King realized how bad their mother's memory was and then made the comment of, "Damn, Asaad, you ain't tell me momma was THIS sick inna head." Which was said right in-front of their mother's face.

When Asa told him to stop talking crazy, his response was, "Well she ain't gonna remember I said it anyway."

And the last thing they were going back and forth about was the fact that King was found on live with Natasha's brothers.

It seemed the moment he moved in, he made himself comfortable with all types of niggas around the city. That was his way of suggesting that he wasn't leaving Hemsborrow anytime soon.

"The Withersons ain't the type of people we play with or about," Asa continued ranting to his brother. "Then you gonna fuck around and get branded?"

I watched King roll his eyes and mimic his brother's words as he laid his feet up on the table, just watching his mother sit and stare at the wall.