13. first impressions

Sophie

Lexi skips down the stairs and I'm panicking because I can hear my mom in the kitchen... This morning we had a debate on what we're going to do about our little situation; I wanted to have her sneak out but Lexi had other ideas.

Now she's running down the stairs with not a care in the world.

"Lexi, wait-." I try to stop her but I can't.

I rush behind her before we stop in the doorway of my kitchen, both of my parents now staring at us in shock.

I mutter to myself "Uh- uhm."

"Uhm- mom- th-this i-." I try to introduce Lexi as quickly as I can to avoid mom starting an argument.

But instead, Lexi beats me to it "I'm Lexi, nice to meet you!" She holds her hand out to my mom.

Mom doesn't look happy. She looks down at Lexi's hand that's held out in front of her and she doesn't bother to shake it. Instead, she gives her a look that's most definitely one of disgust.

So I decide to step in "Mom, this is Lexi. She stayed over last night..."

Mom finally speaks "We didn't say that you could have a friend over to stay."

"I know but when you got home it was late and you'd both had a really good time and I didn't want to cause any stress." I try to convince her that I was doing her a favour by keeping it a secret.

But before she can reply to that, Lexi focuses on my mum "Hi, I'm Lexi. We haven't met before."

But thankfully, mum takes Lexi's hand and I can tell that it makes her feel accepted by her.

"No, I don't think we have." Mum says, smiling at Lexi to show that she's the more approachable parent of mine "But it's nice to meet you, Lexi."

I can always rely on mum to make my friends feel comfortable. Mom would usually just give them that evil glare as she analyses every part of them and it's usually the cause of my lack of friends. Her standards are high and she doesn't accept anything less.

"Sophie told me that you were pregnant!" She lets her know "Boy or girl?" She asks, despite already knowing the answer.

But instead of letting her answer the question, mom interrupts her "It's a girl. So, who are you? Sophie didn't say she had a new friend."

I can tell that Lexi is trying to make a good first impression "I dance at the same studio. The one in town, the one you drive her to most days. We met in a class and I thought she was just so intelligent and funny, and her dancing is amazing!"

Sophie, don't blush!

"Did you now?" Mom's eyes widen, and I can't tell if she's making fun of Lexi or if she actually appreciates the compliments.

Lexi nods, enthusiastically, before glancing at me "Yeah, she's a really good friend."

She stares at Lexi for what feels like a few hours when in reality it's a couple quick seconds. I can tell that she's reading her like a book as she does with most people and I'm here praying that she doesn't hate lexi already.

Lexi is a little more outgoing than any other friends that I've had. She says what's on her mind and she never holds back; I don't know if my mom could handle someone like that around me.

But I'm suddenly relieved when I hear her say to me "Well, why don't you and your friend make some breakfast for us all?"

"I'll do it!" Lexi chirps, already walking over to the kitchen area of our house.

"You can do it?" Mom furrows her brows with a confused look on her face.

Lexi smiles "I'm a good cook, just watch! I used to make everyone eggs in the morning when I was like ten! I probably should've gotten a trophy, I was so smart!"

Mom looks like she's in complete shock at how confident Lexi is with being herself around her. Usually, anyone who comes near my mom would automatically turn into a robot to hide their actual personality. They'd try and please her and it wouldn't work out in the end.

Lexi is the only girl I've met who isn't afraid to be herself.

And then I hear Lexi shouting from the kitchen "But where are your pans? Your kitchen is so big, they could be anywhere?!"

I hear mum giggling to herself, before she asks "Is she really making us breakfast?"

"I think she might be." Mom replies with, clearly still processing what's happening right now.

But instead of complaining about Lexi and how she's acting, mom says something that actually surprises me "I'm actually excited, I've not had a cooked breakfast in weeks!"

I watch as the both of them sit down, waiting for Lexi to finish up with whatever she's doing. But I don't doubt Lexi being a good cook for a second as she always seems to be good at everything. By everything, I mean lying and sneaking around but she's probably good at other things too.

"I'll just be a little while!" Lexi announces from the kitchen.

"Sophie, why don't you go in there and help her." Mom suggests to me "You know how to cook, just make sure she doesn't burn our house down, will you?"

I giggle to myself a little, taking in the fact that mom is actually being a little laid back today "Y-yeah, good idea. I'll go in and check on her."

And then there's a loud crash coming from the other room which can only mean one thing. And I watch as my mom cringes as she hears Lexi making a complete mess out of the kitchen that she takes so much pride in.

"Sorry! That was just me dropping something!" Lexi's voice is heard from the kitchen once again.

I agree to go and help her out because I don't want her making a huge mess in there "Yeah, I'll go and help her now." I giggle slightly.