18. stay behind

Lexi

Sophie and I are both standing together in the studio, waiting for Mr Adams to arrive. He'd called a meeting about something and now all of the girls from the studio are piling into the room.

I glance over at Isabella which was a huge mistake. She looks over at me, smirking. I'll never know what that girl is up to.

"Oh, he's here!" Sophie informs me, tapping on my shoulder to grab my attention.

I turn my head so that I can look in the direction of Mr Adams who's rushing into the room, clearly aware of the fact that he's late to his own meeting.

"Girls!" He raises his voice to quieten the room "Sorry I'm late, I just had another meeting in the city!"

He stands still, looking at everyone in the room "I gathered you all here today as I want to tell you about something exciting that I have planned for all of you."

I look at Sophie whilst furrowing my brows.

"Next week, starting Friday, you're invited to a residential over at the ballet school in the city." He informs us, and I actually feel excited about it despite having no interest in visiting a ballet school "You will be staying in a student accommodation for the weekend, returning back here Monday afternoon."

He continues rambling on about what he has planned for us "You will get to have a look around, attend a few classes, and even watch a ballet performance or two. This will be a great opportunity for some of you that are wanting to have a job in this industry."

And as Mr Adam's continues, I begin to realise something "For those who are wanting to come along, you'll need to sign a form and hand in your money by the end of this week."

I now know that I won't be able to go as I won't have money to pay for it. And I don't want to approach my dad to ask him as I only do it for things that are a necessity like period products or when I need some food.

I guess I'll just be staying home...

"Okay, now I want everyone to be getting back to your classes immediately!" He tells us, clapping his hands slightly.

As Mr Adams begins to leave the room, Sophie turns to me "Lexi, isn't this great! Now we'll get to spend as much time together as we want and my mom won't be there to check up on us every ten minutes!"

"Yeah..." I reply, weakly.

I guess Sophie has noticed my gloomy face, as she says "What's wrong? You don't seem very excited, I thought you'd jump at the chance to spend a weekend away with me."

I shake my head "No, I do want to go it's just that I don't have the money to pay for the costs at the moment. But you should go anyway, it's a great opportunity for you."

Sophie doesn't seem very happy about the fact that I'm backing down from this "No, it won't be the same there without you."

I try to convince her to go without me "It doesn't matter! Going to a ballet school will open up so many doors for you. Just because I can't go doesn't mean you should turn down a good opportunity to be recognised for how good you are at ballet!"

Sophie sighs, before walking closer to me and taking my hand "And you should get the same opportunity as me! It's not fair for you to stay home because you can't pay."

"Yeah, well that's just how life works." I brush her hand away from mine because I don't want to be touched right now.

I try to walk away but she follows me, now saying something that surprises me "No, you're coming with me! I'll have my mom pay for your place, I won't have you stay back."