62. tension in the air

Sophie

I finally feel like I'm starting to fit in here at college. I mean, it's never going to feel the same as school did but I now know that I have to move on from that. Hailey is doing great in America and I couldn't be more prouder of her. We text most nights and she really does seem so happy.

It's nearly time for me to go home but I'm just waiting for my mom to arrive. Although It's been a long day, I really don't want to go home right now.

But all of a sudden, I feel a body nudge into me from behind.

"Boo!" Addison shouts, clearly finding it amusing.

"Jesus, Addison, you scared the crap out of me!"

"Yeah well, it was worth it!" Addison giggles before saying "So... have you thought about what you're going to wear for your date tonight?"

"Addison!" My eyes widen as she says this.

"What?! You have a date, I'm only asking about it!"

"Yeah, but it's embarrassing..." I admit, lowering my head.

"Come on, it'll be fine! Tyler's chill! He'll just take you out to the movies or something, it's not that serious!"

"Yeah, I guess."

A smile appears on her face "So... what are you wearing? Spill!"

I smirk "A dress, I guess."

She gasps.

"Only if it's not too cold." I tell her "I don't want to freeze to death just because I want to look good."

"You'll look good regardless." She compliments me "But a dress will look better on you! I mean, it shows that you're making an effort. Guys appreciate things like that."

I agreed to go on a date with Tyler because I want to move on from Lexi. I'm not actually sure whether I'm attracted to him or not but I'm hoping that spending some time with him will bring me closer to him. Plus, I sort of need more social interactions.

I feel like I've only been surrounded by my parents ever since Lexi disappeared from my life and Hailey moved away. I have to admit that I feel lonely most days.

And then she asks me "Are you gonna wear makeup?"

I shrug "Maybe. I don't have a lot at home though so-."

She interrupts me "That's fine, I'll sort that out for you."

"Are you sure?" I ask her "I don't want to bother you at all."

"Are you kidding?! We're friends, Sophie, of course you can borrow some of my makeup!"

"Oh, okay."

My friendship with Addison has felt quite rushed if I admit. I'm not complaining though because she's the best thing that's happened to me since I started college this year. She's funny, she's wild and she's been kind to me from the first day that we met. But I still feel like I know nothing about her...

All of a sudden, Addison's phone vibrates and I watch as she pulls it out of her pocket before staring at the screen intently. She furrows her brows and I can't help but notice that she seems stressed.

"What's wrong?" I ask her.

She shakes her head before putting away her phone quickly "Oh, it's nothing, don't worry about it. It's just Ryan."

"Are things okay with the two of you?" I ask as I noticed that things have been a little different between the two of them recently.

"Yeah, we're fine." She says although it's not very convincing "He's just wanting to know what time I'm heading over to his place tonight."

"Oh."

And then she completely changes the topic of the conversation "Oh, and if you need condoms then just give me a shout and I'll get you some."

"I- I'm not gonna have-."

She scoffs "Sophie, you don't have to be embarrassed about this stuff. If you and Tyler happen to get things going then I'm right around the corner with them. Just send me a quick message and I'll be there for you."

My eyes widen as she says all of this to me "Addison... I'm not going to have sex with Tyler."

"Sure you won't." She winks. "Anyway, like I said, I'll be there if you need me."

"Uhm, okay." I muster up a fake smile so that she'll stop talking about Tyler and I having sex.

Of course I'm not going to have sex with Tyler! I've only ever been intimate with Lexi and that was because I truly did like her. We had a deep connection and it just felt right. I don't want to have sex with someone that's basically a complete stranger.

Yet again, Addison's phone vibrates and I watch as she rolls her eyes as she takes it out of her pocket once again.

"Fuck, I gotta go." She tells me as she reads the screen "Ryan is really being a cunt right now."

"Oh, okay." I say, not wanting to get involved in their drama "I'll see you later then?"

"Yeah, of course you will." She smiles at me "And you better tell me how your date went. You promise that you will?"

"I promise, Addison."

She winks "Okay, just text if you need me at any point."

"I will." I say to her, before watching as she turns away from me.

I figure that I should probably head out of the building as my mom will be here to take me home soon. So I walk out of the doors and I make my way towards the car park.

Honestly, I dread going home as there's been a lot of tension in the air recently. I can tell that my parents are arguing about something and I worry that it's about me. Mom seems really irritable at the moment and I'm just waiting for her to snap.

All of a sudden, I see my mom's car pulling into the driveway so I make my way over there.