54. leap of faith

Sophie

I walk through the foyer, trying to navigate my way through the building. Mom drove me here but I had to go in alone. It's my first official day at college and I only have a few classes. The rest of the day is for getting to know my way around and meeting new people.

My hands shake as I look around and I realise that I'm lost. I don't know where to go and I don't know who to ask as everyone seems to be preoccupied.

But then my body jolts a little when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, are you lost?" I hear the voice of another girl.

I turn to look at her, replying with "Uhm... kinda."

"That's okay! It's normal not to know where to go on your first day." She tells me before introducing herself "Sorry, I'm Addison."

She holds out her hand and I shake it.

"I'm Sophie." I smile at her whilst shaking her hand.

"Sophia?" She asks me.

I shake my head "No, just Sophie."

"So, do you want me to show you around?" She asks me, being kind to me even though she definitely doesn't have to.

"S- sure, that would be great!"

We begin walking around the halls, Addison explaining to me where each and every one of the classrooms are and where I should go if I need any assistance. She looks over my timetable so that she can navigate me to where I should go for my classes today.

"So, it looks like you have science first." She tells me, pointing to my timetable to show me that "Your classroom is just down the end of the hallway and to your left."

I take my time to remember exactly where it is so that I don't get lost again later on today.

"Do you know where you're going?" She asks me.

"Y- yeah, I think so."

"Good. Don't worry, you can take my number and you can call me if you need me at any point." She offers to give me her number.

"Sure, thanks."

We exchange numbers and it helps me feel more relaxed about the day ahead.

"You got it?" She asks me.

I finish adding her to my contacts before saying "Yeah, I got it."

We continue to walk around the building and we end up finding ourselves outside near the football field. I take this time to look at Addison. She has long, brunette hair and dark eyes to match it. And as I look closer, I realise that she actually looks a lot like Hailey. Plus, she seems sweet too so maybe we could be friends.

But I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear her ask me this "So, do you have a boyfriend?"

I giggle "No, I don't."

"Really?! There's no way!" Her eyes widen as I reveal that to her "You're so pretty, why don't you have a boyfriend?"

I shrug "I don't know. I guess I've just never really felt like I needed one."

I decide not to mention Lexi because I want to take my mum's advice to forget about her.

"I guess it's good that you're sensible." She says to me "I wish I'd of been that way if I'm honest. I'd already slept with ten guys in the first semester last year."

My eyes widen as she reveals that to me. Ten guys?!

"I know what you're thinking! I know that I'm crazy! It's just that all the guys here are like so fucking hot and it's hard to resist!" She tells me "Honestly, I'm sure I could set you up with a few if that's something that you're interested in."