59. living in the past

Sophie

It's my first day back at dance and I can feel the tension in the room. I decided to take a break over the past year as it just didn't feel right to be here without Lexi. But now that I'm back, I can't help but feel like I don't belong here anymore...

I tie my pointe shoes in the corner of the room as I try not to bring too much attention to myself. I just know that everyone will be wondering why I'm back.

But suddenly, I notice a familiar face and I watch as Mr Adams enters the room. I immediately stand up to listen to what he has to say.

"Everyone, gather round!" He demands, and I immediately walk into the centre of the room.

He continues "Unfortunately, I have some bad news..."

What?!

"I have had to cancel this year's show..."

I hear a loud gasp as he reveals that to us, all of our hard work crumbling in a matter of seconds.

"Look, this is for the best!" He says "As you might have noticed, I haven't been myself recently. I've been going through a lot and I know that I won't have the time to finish this year's performance."

"So... we're not dancing at all?!" I hear the sound of a girl's voice coming from across the room.

I instantly recognise it as Isabella's...

"Unfortunately, no..." he reveals "As I explained, I will not have the time to finish all of the dances. Plus, I just don't have the motivation to want to do it. We've lost a lot of dancers this year and it just doesn't feel right to go on without them."

As he says that, I can't help but notice that he looks like he could break down at any second.

"Without who?" I hear Isabella's voice again "I don't remember there being anyone important that's not here anymore."

And he replies to her with "Everyone is important! For that reason, I can't go on with teaching you all this year! I will not repeat myself again, Isabella, there will be no dance! Do you understand that?!"

I watch as he raises his voice at Isabella and I can tell that she's just as shocked as I am. Mr Adams has never been like this before. Usually, he's strong and never gives up. Something must've happened to make him want to cancel our show. But I look around and I realise that the only dancer that's missing is Lexi...

The room is in complete silence, everyone stood in shock as we watch Mr Adams begin to cry. He wipes away his tears, trying to hide them from everyone.

"I'm sorry... I- I can't do this." He says, before rushing out of the room.

"Jesus!" Isabella raises her voice "What the fuck is wrong with him?!"

"Crazy motherfucker, that's what's wrong." I hear one of Isabella's friends say to her.

"Well, he better get his act together or we're all screwed!" Isabella replies.

Immediately, I begin to gather my things so that I can leave. I figure that if I'm not going to be dancing today then there's no point in me staying here. So I grab my dance bag, shoving my shoes inside.

But as I rush to leave, I feel my body hit someone else's.

"What the-." I hear a voice, and I turn around and I see that it was Isabella's.

"I'm sorry!" I immediately apologise.

"Fuck, you should be!" She raises her voice "Plus, this is all your fault! If your girlfriend had just followed the rules then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess?!"

"What are you talking about?" I furrow my brows.

"Don't act like you don't know what was going on..." she smirks, confusing me even further.

"I- I don't know."

"Really?!" Her eyes widen.

I watch as she giggles as she realises that I don't know what she's talking about. And even though I would rather be talking to anyone else but her right now, I realise that this is the perfect opportunity to ask about Lexi. If someone was to know where she could be then I'm sure it would be Isabella.

"Isabella." I say, grabbing her attention again "D- do you know where she is?"

She furrows her brows "Where who is?"

"Lexi... do you know where she is?"

She looks around the room, almost like she's deep in thought. She pouts, squinting her eyes a little as she thinks about my question.

"Actually, yeah! You know what, I think I might." She surprises me.

"Really?!" I feel my whole body fill with excitement "W- where is she?"

Isabella walks closer to me, not taking her eyes off of me. Then I watch as she leans in closer to me, hovering her lips near my ear.

She then says "The last I hear was that she was rotting in a ditch covered in her own fucking blood..."

I immediately step back, in complete shock. I feel my heart begin to beat faster as I try to process what she's just said to me. And I look at the smirk on her face before she begins to laugh. I just really hope that this is just some sick joke...

"But maybe that's the best place for her?" She laughs "Who knows?"

She then turns away from me, saying "What a fucking stupid bitch!"

I stand in the centre of the room, not knowing what to do. It's been a whole year yet I'm still hoping that she'll walk through those doors, a smile on her face as she skips towards me. I still wait for my phone to vibrate and to see her name across the screen.

It just never happens.

I then find myself running towards the locker room. I open the door and I notice a group of girls gathered around Lexi's locker. I watch as they carelessly use lipstick to write a word across it. And because I'm so angry, I decide that I can't let them do it.

"Get the fuck off!" I scream, dashing towards them.

"What the hell?!"

"I said get the hell off of there?!" I raise my voice "Get off! Just get off!"

The girls immediately leave and I'm left alone, my face covered in my own tears. I then fall to the floor, my back leaning against Lexi's locker as I worry about what happened to her. I just pray that she's okay. I would never want anyone to hurt her.

But as I sit in a puddle of my own tears, I realise that I need to move on from this place. I can't keep living in the past.

The Girl With The Tattooजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें