53. we're over

Sophie

It's been a year since I last saw Lexi. I still remember everything that she said to me that day and it still hurts. And instead of apologising to me for what she did, she decided to send me a text saying "We're over". And other than that, I haven't heard from her since.

Both of my parents decided to let me take a break before starting college. But now I should be getting ready for my first day but instead I'm sulking in my bedroom.

All of a sudden, I hear the sound of my bedroom door opening as I forgot to turn the lock.

"Sophie?" I hear my mum's voice.

I decide to sit upright so that I can talk to her.

I rub my eyes "I'm awake."

"Good. Is this a good time to talk?" She asks me.

I nod.

"Y- yeah, it is. You can come in."

I watch as she closes my door gently before walking over to my bed and taking a seat on it. She gives me enough space though as she knows that I've been a little all over the place lately.

"What do you wanna talk about, mum?" I ask her, slightly concerned.

"It's about college." She reveals "Your mom and I are worried about you, Soph. You were so excited to start this next chapter of your life but now you don't seem to be. We just want you to have goals and dreams. We don't want you to be upset forever."

"I know you don't. It's just that it's hard. I- I've never been through anything like this before."

She rests her hand on my shoulder, giving me an understanding smile "I know. Soph, I know how hard it is to go through heartbreaks but I need you to start moving on from her."

"I- I don't know." I tell her "She meant a lot to me."

Mum nods "I know she did. But you can't put your life on hold for a girl that doesn't care about you anymore."

It hurts to hear but I know that what mum is saying is true. Lexi doesn't care about me and I don't think that she ever did. I mean, if she really cared about me then why hasn't she tried to contact me to say sorry? It's like she's vanished.

"I know." I nod, agreeing with her.

"So, college..." she says, and I take a deep breath "Are you ready? I know that you've been through a lot but it's really important for you to do good there."

I nod slowly "I think I am"

"Good! You're gonna enjoy it so much there! And, you might meet some new friends there... maybe even a cute boy or girl." She winks at me, making me slightly embarrassed.

"Mum, stop!"

"I'm just saying, you never know what's gonna happen. Your whole life could change."

And then I say to her "I just don't know if I'm ready to move on from her. I mean, she was my girlfriend! I don't think you understand how much I loved her..."

Mum rests her hand on my thigh and she shows that she understands how I feel "Soph, I do understand. But, she just wasn't the right person for you. You said it yourself, the both of you were just so different. She's clearly moved on with her life so it's probably best if you do the same."

I nod slowly "I know."

I think about Lexi and the way that she made me feel. I still remember how she would look at me and how her eyes sparkled. She was also hilarious and I would laugh at her jokes for hours. And I remember the feeling of her arms around my body as she held me close to her.

I shiver as I think about her lips and how she tasted against my tongue.

I then ask her a question "Mum, do you think she's okay?"

Mum furrows her brows before replying with "I'm sure she is. Just forget about her now, okay?"

"Yeah..."

All of a sudden, I hear a squealing noise coming from outside my door. The door then opens and in runs Harper. She's holding one of her Barbie dolls by the leg which isn't an unusual sight to see.

Both mum and I turn our heads to look at her as she squeals "Mummy!"

Harper climbs up onto the bed, throwing herself onto my mum. Her cheeks are red and her eyes are puffy which shows that she's probably tired. She's been having nightmares recently and I hear her crying in her crib most nights.

"Are you tired, baby?" Mum asks her, playing with her dark curls.

"Sleep." Is all that Harper says.

Harper begins to suck her thumb while she looks at me.

"Mummy was just talking to Sophie about college." Mum tells Harper, trying to include her in the conversation "You remember how we told you that Sophie was going to college?"

"Sophie go." Harper mumbles.

I giggle at Harper's speech. She's only just turned one year old but she's already putting sentences together. Mum and I always make sure to let her join in whenever we're having a conversation. Personally, I think that Harper is so smart.

But then Harper rubs her eyes again, showing that she's exhausted.

"Come on, let's get you to bed then." Mum says, pulling Harper up and resting her on her hip.

She then looks over at me "I'm just gonna go and get her to sleep. You're gonna be okay, aren't you?"

I nod "Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Okay." She replies with.

"Just keep thinking about what I said. You're gonna do great, Sophie."

I smile to show that I appreciate that "Thanks, mum."

As soon as mum leaves, I lay back on my bed. I think about Lexi again and I find myself scrolling through photos of the both of us. I get to see all of the good times that we had together and how she made me so happy. She was also smiling too so it's hard to understand how it was all a lie.

I don't think I've ever met someone as evil as her.

(Lexi) We're over.

I stare at her text again, wondering what I did to deserve that.