56. last goodbye

Sophie

Currently, I'm laying on my bed, thinking about how the day went. I still don't know whether I want to go to college anymore. I mean, I know that good things will come from it but I just don't know if it's the environment that I want to be in.

Hailey is moving to the States to attend college there. I know that she's going to do great but I also know that I'm going to miss her.

All of a sudden, I hear the door to my bedroom opening and I quickly turn my head to see who it is.

Immediately, a smile appears on my face when I see my best friend standing in the doorway.

"No way!" My eyes widen as I shoot up off of the bed.

"Hey!" She smiles.

I rush over to Hailey, wrapping my arms around her and squeezing her tightly. I take in the moment with her and it feels amazing to have her here with me.

"I thought that you'd left already!" I tell her "I asked my mum and she told me that you'd already moved!"

"Yeah, I kind of told her to lie to you..." she admits.

"Hey, not nice! I was totally heartbroken when I thought that I didn't get to say goodbye."

"Well, now you get to do it." She says.

Suddenly, it sinks in that I'm not going to see her for a while. She'll be moving back for the Summer but it's still so far away and I don't know what I'm going to do without her.

"What's wrong?" She asks me, clearly sensing that I'm upset.

"It's nothing." I lie "It's just college... I just feel like I don't fit in."

"Hey, talk to me." She grabs my arm, pulling me onto the bed.

I sigh "Well, I met a girl there and she was really kind."

"Okay... So what's the problem?"

"The problem is that she isn't you!" I admit, not looking into her eyes because I feel a little embarrassed that I said that to her "I just wish that you were there with me and that you weren't leaving! And I just know that I'm never going to meet someone as good as you! You've been my best friend for years now and I don't know if I'm ready to say goodbye..."

"Hey, it's gonna be okay." She tells me, trying to convince me that she's telling the truth "Sometimes change is scary but it can also be a good thing!"

"But I'm not gonna make friends, I just know it!"

"No, you don't know that." She says.

"But they're all so different than me!" I tell her.

She grabs hold of my hand, looking into my eyes with a serious look on her face.

"Hey, don't stress! You're gonna make friends! I promise you that it's all going to work out for you! Sophie, I believe in you!" She tells me.

I smile to show that I appreciate what she's saying to me as it's really what I needed to hear.

"Do you believe in yourself?" She asks me, something that I don't think I've ever been asked before.

"I- I don't know." I tell her the truth "I don't know if I do."

"Well, you should!" She says.

All of a sudden, she changes the topic of our conversation back onto the girl that I met today. Hailey has always been quite nosy and she always wants to know all of the details. She also seems to know everything about the people that live in our town so I'm guessing that she already knows Addison.