27. jealousy, jealousy

Sophie

Today is the second day of class and I wanted to make sure that Lexi was prepared before she even entered the building this morning. So I brushed her hair, styled it into a neat bun and made sure that she was wearing something appropriate for class.

She complained the entire time but we got there in the end.

"My feet are killing me!" Lexi complains, talking about the fact that she's wearing her pointe shoes.

"Well, you're gonna have to deal with it if you want to be a ballerina." I tell her.

"I don't want to be a ballerina." She reminds me "That might be like the hundredth time I've told you that."

"Yeah, and I don't believe you."

Lexi then begins to complain about her hair "Jesus, how tight did you have to put this? It's giving me a migraine, Sophie!"

"I told you, you have to have your hair in a bun here." I remind her.

"Well, they clearly want me to be in pain all day." She says as she holds her hand to her head to try and relieve some pain.

I find a free spot for both Lexi and I at the ballet barre and I dash over there to secure it for us. Thankfully, it's in the middle of the room and that'll help us with getting noticed by some of the instructors here. But I can tell that Lexi doesn't like being the centre of attention.

"Why couldn't we have gotten a place at the back? I feel like everyone's eyes are gonna be on me and my bad feet." She looks around, clearly feeling uncomfortable.

"I just want us to have a chance at this, Lex. If we hide away at the back then we definitely won't have a chance at being chosen for the scholarship." I explain to her "And you don't have bad feet!"

"Are you kidding?! Even my grandma could point her feet better than I could!" She says, and she seems serious.

"You don't have a grandma." I remind her, remembering her telling me that her dad is the only family that she has.

"I do she's just also a cunt." She tells me.

Suddenly, I notice a girl behind us and I watch as she rests her hand on Lexi's shoulder.

"Fancy seeing you here!" The girl says and I furrow my brows in confusion.

Who is this girl?

"Hey, what's up?!" Lexi seems happy to see the girl as she embraces her with open arms.

I watch as they hug and I feel a hint of jealousy wash over me. I then notice another girls standing beside her and I recognise her as one of the girls who are also competing for a chance to win the scholarship.

Lexi then greets the blonde girl "Hey! Ashlyn, right?"

"I was gonna say hello yesterday but you seemed too focused and I didn't want to ruin that for you." Lexi tells her, and I'm beginning to feel more and more confused by the second.

"No, it's okay." Ashlyn smiles at Lexi "Honestly, I didn't even realise you were here until Amber told me that she saw you last night."

"Yeah, we just caught up." Amber tells Ashlyn and my jealousy only gets worse.

Suddenly, Lexi turns around to look at me and she now focuses on me "Sorry, this is my girlfriend, Sophie."