Chapter 102

Gu Wuji noticed that his use of ghost-taming techniques in this instance was far more efficient than in other instances... He even managed to summon the female player's spirit in an instant.

The reason was clear to Gu Wuji. He felt the pressure momentarily, but it was fleeting. Soon, he began questioning the ghost before him, "What happened before? Where did your teammates go?"

The female player's ghost was quite ordinary, seeming to lack much consciousness due to her weak will in life. Upon being summoned, she initially recoiled in fear from the female ghost, then reluctantly approached due to the contract, extending her finger to tap Gu Wuji's forehead.

In that moment, Gu Wuji's consciousness sank into memories that weren't his own.

The scene before him was terrifying beyond measure. In a pitch-black room, the only light came from a nearby phone. From a first-person perspective, he could see himself lying on the ground, with the horrifying female ghost looming dangerously close, almost making face-to-face contact.

Most people would be terrified at such a sight, but Gu Wuji didn't see any issue; he had witnessed such scenes too many times.

Surveying his surroundings, Gu Wuji noticed a woman not far away, also holding a phone. It seemed she couldn't bear to watch the scene and turned away. Judging by her attire and hairstyle, she was Yanjie.

He immediately noticed the art supplies scattered on the ground, held in her other hand.

"It seems there was a conflict between them before, leading to this situation," Gu Wuji pondered. "The female ghost didn't harm Yanjie but chose another female player, perhaps because of the art supplies in her hand... In that case, how did Yanjie inexplicably disappear from this room?"

The truth of the matter must be hidden within this memory.

Gu Wuji continued to observe, but the room was too dim, and the memory, with its owner on the brink of death, became increasingly blurry.

He could only make out, under the glow of the phone, the frame of a painting on the wall. After noticing the painting, Yanjie seemed to be drawn towards it, slowly moving in its direction.

Then, the memory plunged into darkness for a moment. When it returned, Yanjie's figure had vanished, leaving only the scattered art supplies behind.

And thus, the memory concluded.

Gu Wuji purified the female player's soul, allowing her to rest. He then gazed solemnly at the spot on the wall. Now, it was completely empty, devoid of any trace of the painting's existence.

"She did disappear after seeing that painting. And the ghost-taming technique couldn't summon her soul, so her spirit isn't here," Gu Wuji contemplated. "Was she pulled into the painting?"

He approached the wall, scrutinizing it, but no matter how he looked, it remained bare, devoid of any sense of the painting's presence. He didn't know how it could be triggered.

Only with extreme scrutiny did he notice one or two spots on the wall that appeared scratched, as if someone had struggled desperately in that spot.

Upon noticing this, a sense of urgency washed over Gu Wuji. He even felt as if someone was watching him, a gaze reminiscent of the malicious boss, Jin Yu, from the painted world, who had nearly killed him before.

Instinctively, he stepped back, frowning at the now-normal wall before him.

"She warned me not to look into the eyes of the portraits, yet she disappeared like this. Could these portraits possess some bewitching properties?"