Chapter 126

When Gu Wuji arrived at the venue, he couldn't help but be startled by the crowd, remarking, "There are way too many people here today."

From what he knew, the award ceremony was rather modest and not very famous, so the massive turnout was shocking.

A young man with delicate features and a somewhat shy demeanor spoke up, "It's because today's event has invited Cheng Liangmiao, who's been very popular recently. He's a big deal right now, having won international awards for his movies. If not for crowd control, fans would have filled up this place long ago."

This young man, named Xiao Zhong, was a life assistant arranged for Gu Wuji by Cheng Jia, essentially acting as a real assistant. He had just started a few days ago.

Cheng Jia's face turned sour immediately, feeling genuinely annoyed, "What are these people thinking? No matter how you look at it, Master Gu deserves this kind of treatment way more!"

Then, Cheng Jia coldly turned to Xiao Zhong, "It's one thing for outsiders, but you should know, Master Gu is far more remarkable than any of those nonsensical people!"

"Of course, of course," Xiao Zhong hurriedly agreed, accustomed to Cheng Jia's biased view of Gu Wuji. He could very well be called Gu Wuji's number one fan online... In fact, Cheng Jia would often go online to attack Gu Wuji's critics when Gu Wuji was free, not only that, but he even involved his bodyguards in the activity.

Thankfully, Cheng Jia was rational enough not to use his main account, or he would likely attract even more criticism.

This left Xiao Zhong quite puzzled. Although Gu Wuji seemed competent, with good acting skills and character, was he really to the extent described? He wondered how he became so closely associated with the Cheng family, or if Cheng Jia was just a simple, star-struck fan...

Gu Wuji, on the other hand, remembered Cheng Liangmiao, a recently rising star with excellent acting skills and no scandals to his name. His biggest rumored flaw was a temper... Overall, a very reliable figure in the entertainment industry.

"It seems coming to this award ceremony was indeed the right decision," Gu Wuji thought, feeling a newfound respect for his successful senior.

However, unbeknownst to Gu Wuji, the award ceremony had been designed with him in mind from the start.

Given Gu Wuji's increasingly high profile and his unorthodox approach, it was natural that he drew some discontent. Of course, more than these concerns, what truly made others feel threatened was the possibility of Gu Wuji taking away their opportunities.

However, the backing of the Cheng family behind Gu Wuji complicated matters. Yet, they believed that the Cheng family's support for Gu Wuji was purely based on interests, and if Gu Wuji's reputation were to be tarnished, the Cheng family might stop investing resources in him.

Others had not considered the possibility of Gu Wuji having other kinds of dealings with the Cheng family... After all, who would have thought that Gu Wuji also moonlighted as a ghost exorcist?

...

“Is it really okay to place Gu Wuji here? Next to him is Cheng Liangmiao,” a staff member expressed concern while looking at the arrangement of chairs.

Cheng Liangmiao was known for having a clean reputation, but he had a strong aversion to the unspoken rules of the entertainment industry, especially detesting those who climbed the ladder through connections rather than talent.

Although the matter between Gu Wuji and Cheng Jia had been clarified, to those unaware, it seemed there could still be some suspicion of underhanded dealings.