Chapter 5

After the sentence ended, Gu Wujì abruptly closed the notebook. Recalling the last sentence in his mind, he suddenly looked up, his gaze meeting a photo hanging not far away on the wall.

"Was there a photo here before?" he wondered aloud.

In the glow of his phone's light, he could see clearly that the people in the photo were the same ones who had just rushed in through the main gate in a panic. Three of them already had blood smeared across their faces, with only empty sockets where their eyes should have been. The hollow gaze of these three individuals sent shivers down the spines of the remaining three survivors.

Most people would have probably collapsed on the spot upon seeing such a photo, but Gu Wujì remained calm, observing intently. After all, he had already faced ghosts; who would care about a mere photograph?

He also noticed that among the deceased, besides the couple, was Luo Kong. However, being here now, he couldn't possibly know how the others had died.

[Main Quest: Uncover the truth buried within the abandoned villa. Completed.]

[Main Quest: Escape from the villa.]

[After obtaining the crucial clue, the most terrifying presence within the villa has awakened. Your only option now is to flee this place. Your former companions will also join in hunting you down, in exchange for the sole chance of survival.]

After the system's voice disappeared, blood began spreading visibly around the photo at an alarming rate. The figures of the three individuals in the photo seemed to solidify further, as if they could break free at any moment.

Without hesitation, Gu Wujì turned and walked away.

He hurried downstairs, but as he turned a corner, he ran into Fang Jian.

"You're still alive..." Fang Jian couldn't believe that Gu Wujì was still alive, and judging by the direction he came from, it seemed like he had just come from the study. Could it be that Gu Wujì was the one who had just completed the main quest?

But that's okay; extracting information from Gu Wujì and then killing him would be sufficient. After all, the newcomers this time are all naive and easy targets.

Fang Jian immediately put on a friendly smile and opened his arms warmly. "I can't believe you're okay, Xiao Gu. That's wonderful news. Unfortunately, we don't have many companions left, and we absolutely cannot afford to lose anyone else to the malevolent spirits."

"What about Luo Kong and Ren Hui?" Gu Wujì asked casually.

"Since the main quest is completed, they've already left. I came back to see if there were any stragglers," Fang Jian replied, his smile particularly genuine as he spoke. Anyone would be moved by his sincerity, grateful to have encountered a pioneer like Fang Jian in the newbie instance.

"You're lying," Gu Wujì sighed, his gaze piercing as he looked at Fang Jian, his tone carrying a chilling edge. "From the very beginning, you never intended for any of us to survive, did you?"

He had already vaguely sensed something off about Fang Jian earlier. Upon reflection, both encounters with ghosts had occurred right after Fang Jian had patted him on the back. The words he just spoke were merely a probe, but he hadn't expected Fang Jian to actually lie without hesitation.

Upon hearing Gu Wujì's words, Fang Jian fell silent for a moment. Then, without even attempting to explain himself, he let out a cold laugh, disdain evident in his eyes. "Looks like you're not as foolish as I thought. But it's too late for you now. Once you're dead, the vengeful spirit's demands will be met, and I can leave straight away!"