Chapter 118

The male player retreated slowly in shock, while on the other side, Gu Wuji had already picked up a bucket and headed towards the water's edge.

Sounds emanated from the water continuously, but nothing appeared. From the perspective of the two, they could only see the surface of the water rippling, and due to either the lighting or some other issue, it was impossible to discern anything in the water tank, making the situation even more spine-chilling.

"Brother Sun, do we really have to go over there...?" The male player felt the terrifying nature of the situation at hand, but he truly lacked the courage to approach and make contact with any potential monsters that might emerge from the water.

"Have you forgotten the requirements of the main quest?"

Gu Wuji said this, and the male player's face instantly changed. Reluctantly, he had no choice but to steel himself and carry another bucket of meat chunks over.

Since the main quest required them to diligently complete the work, there was no room for slack. However, the fact that the main quest wouldn't directly lead them into a life-threatening situation provided the male player with a slight sense of relief.

Gu Wuji watched the water surface, ever since he stepped into the room, his mind had been flooded with various complex noises, like the whispers of ghosts, which became even clearer upon entering this room.

The male gamer, wearing gloves, carefully retrieved a piece of meat from the bucket, feeling a surprising warmth to it. Cold sweat broke out on his forehead instantly; this was just taken out from the cold storage, how could it warm up so fast...

It was as if it had just been cut off from some living creature.

The male gamer didn't want to delve into the reasons behind this phenomenon. After he took out the meat, the chill in the room intensified, and the water surface suddenly boiled as if urging something. Frightened, he hurriedly threw the meat into the water.

In that instant, both saw clearly as a pale shadow suddenly burst out from the water, its cold, gleaming teeth clamping down on the meat before darting back. The upper half of its face emerged from the water, golden eyes coldly sizing them up.

They finally saw the true appearance of this so-called test subject, which at first glance, was extremely similar to a human, even could be described as a beautiful young boy, apparently still in his teens... However, upon closer inspection, the test subject had some non-human features compared to humans, with silver long hair, and a pair of eyes that resembled those of a serpent, looking at people as if viewing prey.

Seeing this test subject, the male gamer breathed a sigh of relief; after all, people judge by appearances, and a monster that looks like a beautiful young boy was far preferable to some horrifyingly described ghost.

............

At this moment, within a room of the research institute, a giant screen displayed surveillance footage from various locations throughout the facility.

It was clear that the focus of attention was on the players who had arrived in the past few days.

Their gazes fixed on the screen showing Gu Wuji and another male player's room, one person spoke, "These two are quite unfortunate... The test subjects in that room are very ferocious; it's likely they won't make it back."

"It doesn't really matter anyway; they're just two insignificant people." Another person frowned, "Even those who can't hear that sound, keeping them here is just a waste of resources."

The others didn't say much, as they all knew too well that only by finding that most crucial person could they solve the current predicament. Everyone's attention was focused on those who had heard the sound last night.