Chapter 124

Gu Wuji felt as if something beautiful within him had suddenly shattered.

To think that after all this, he would be told such a thing—does this mean that the enchanting mermaids from fairy tales truly don't exist in the eerie world of instances?

"But mermaids and humans are reproductively isolated, aren't they?" Gu Wuji persisted, holding firm to his belief that such an inter-species, forbidden love could not possibly happen to him.

Director Fiona's ghost looked at Gu Wuji with a hint of sympathy in her eyes, saying, "According to my research and examination of some documents, mermaids seek out the soulmate who is the best match for them and do not care about the barriers between races, nor do they consider the issue of reproducing offspring."

So, that's why mermaids are so rare now!

"Such partners seem to be destined from the start, like the existence of someone fated by destiny. Then, they would bestow their most precious scale to the other party. If the recipient accepts it, it signifies acceptance..."

Gu Wuji: "...But what if the recipient actually does not wish to accept?"

Suddenly, Gu Wuji felt the scale he had on him becoming burning hot. Why does he, just an ordinary player running instances, have to encounter such a situation?

Gu Wuji suddenly began to reflect. In reality, although he often encountered ghosts, they were all friendly good souls; even the malevolent spirits were just ordinary evil spirits...

Why is it that ever since he entered the instances of this game, he always meets vengeful spirits with ulterior motives toward him? This is utterly unscientific. Could it be that this game also incorporates elements of romantic development?

"Of course, because ordinary people don't know about such things, they would normally assume acceptance," Director Fiona explained. "But even if humans do not accept, mermaids will not give up and will forcibly take away their partner. Moreover, in most cases, they have already used their abilities to affect the human's spirit, causing most humans to fall deeply in love with them immediately."

"But humans can't live in the sea, right?" Gu Wuji asked. At this point, he was merely curious about these mermaids.

"The power of mermaids affects their partners; it seems they possess some ability that allows the other to survive underwater," Director Fiona shook her head, "I'm not very clear on this... but it's also highly possible that they bind their partner's soul, making it impossible for the other to ever leave, living forever in their dreams."

Gu Wuji: "..." In harsh terms, it's like being dead.

Director Fiona sighed again, "When we captured that mermaid before, he remained very calm the whole time, just staying there. Initially, we thought there was some emotional issue with him. But now it seems, he was probably waiting for that fated partner."

Gu Wuji: "?" But he had only come to this world through this instance!

"Now, it looks like the mermaid probably considers you his partner and won't let you escape easily," Director Fiona said. "You better be careful."

Gu Wuji: "I understand, thank you. But I think he might have mistaken me for someone else."

After saying this, it seemed Director Fiona had finally completed her task, as her figure directly vanished.

Gu Wuji quickly came to terms with this situation, reasoning that it was just a mechanism to increase the difficulty for players, something not unheard of before... It's probably just a setting where one of all the players is chosen to be the destined partner of the villainous boss, and it's not because he himself attracted the other.