Chapter 3

Everyone, including the ghost, fell silent.

To Ren Hui's astonishment, the hand held by Gu Wuji didn't make any further movements, as if it had truly been comforted by him. Can ghosts be comforted by humans? She felt mentally disoriented, doubting everything about the world.

After Gu Wuji finished holding her hand, he naturally took the microphone from Ren Hui and interviewed the ghost, saying, "Sir, I'm a journalist investigating injustices. My current assignment is to uncover the truth behind the villa massacre. Could you provide any clues? I'll burn some offerings for you when I return."

Ren Hui: "???" How could you just casually interrogate a ghost like that?! And what about her microphone?

In the next moment, she saw the ghost, which had stopped moving, suddenly contort its body as if enraged, lunging towards Gu Wuji. Its grotesque, decomposed face, with its white bones exposed, was terrifyingly close!

Standing behind Gu Wuji, Ren Hui screamed in terror. Only Gu Wuji remained calm, maintaining eye contact with the ghost. He also noticed that the ghost's eyes showed clear signs of being gouged out.

Could this be related to the perpetrator of the murder case?

Before Gu Wuji could think further, the ghost passed directly through his body, sending a chilling sensation from head to toe!

In that instant, several images flashed through his mind. It was as if he were witnessing scenes from someone's perspective, hiding in the shadows, surrounded by dim, disorienting light.

In the scene, a man's screams and a woman's cries echoed continuously, accompanied by the nauseating smell of blood permeating the air.

From the faint sobs and trembling, it was evident how terrified the individuals were.

Despite being terrified to the core, he couldn't see any trace of the killer, only hearing footsteps around him, sometimes seeming distant, then suddenly close.

"You're the last one, be obedient now," a clear, youthful voice rang out, filled with indescribable pleasure.

The person dared not even breathe, holding their breath as they cautiously moved backward. But their frantic heartbeat sounded deafening, and they could only clutch their chest tightly, praying not to be found.

The footsteps seemed to slowly fade away, but soon, something cold dripped onto their shoulder from above.

With trembling eyes, they looked up, only to see a face with two bloody sockets, blood trickling down from the eye sockets.

In the next moment, before they could make out anything, everything turned into a sea of red.

―― He saw me.

No, it's... I saw him.

...

When Gu Wuji woke up again, he found himself lying on the sofa in the living room, with the others standing nearby.

"You're finally awake," Ren Hui sighed with relief, her demeanor showing gratitude towards Gu Wuji for protecting her from harm during their recent ordeal with the ghost.

"Was I unconscious for long?" Gu Wuji's mind was still a bit foggy.

"Heh, I warned you not to mess with ghosts, didn't I? Now look at you," Luo Kong sneered, "If it weren't for luck, you'd probably be dead by now!"

"Don't get so worked up," Fang Jian restrained his slight surprise, thinking to himself that this guy was surprisingly lucky; after being messed with by a ghost, he still seemed relatively unscathed, "Mr. Gu only passed out for less than ten minutes. But just now, while we were here, the two of you suddenly vanished into thin air, which really startled us."