Chapter 4

As the doors closed, the entire room plunged into darkness.

Despite the presence of three people, silence enveloped them. No one dared to utter a word, unsure of the situation outside. Was the female ghost lured away, or did she linger nearby?

The wait was excruciating, memories of the couple's death and unsettling bloodstains flooding their minds.

Ren Hui hugged herself against the wall, longing to cry but afraid to make a sound. Even her tears were held back, fearing the slightest noise might alert the ravenous demon outside.

Luo Kong stood inside the cabinet, drenched in cold sweat from head to toe. His mind replayed various horrifying scenes. Compared to Fang Jian's struggle and cries, this eerie silence was the most terrifying.

He couldn't tell if Fang Jian had truly led the ghost away or if, like the couple earlier, he was silently consumed by the monsters. The more Luo Kong thought, the more terrified he became. His legs trembled uncontrollably in the cramped space of the cabinet. Any sudden movement risked pushing the door open, a risk he dared not take.

He couldn't help but shift his gaze towards Gu Wuji, seeking comfort. But in the darkness, nothing could be seen, only the sound of his calm breathing could be heard.

Gu Wuji... wasn't scared at all!

Even as his gaze fell on him, Gu Wuji reassured him in a calm voice tinged with a slow smile, "It's okay. Even if the ghost finds us, it doesn't necessarily mean death. With a bit of luck, we might even make a friend and get some clues to survive."

This lunatic, this reckless fool! At that moment, Luo Kong regretted deeply. Why did he have to hide with Gu Wuji? Even facing the ghost alone would have been better than being with him!

Just then, footsteps slowly approached outside the bedroom door.

Like a premonition!

In the darkness, everyone's hearing became exceptionally acute. No, it wasn't just footsteps, there was also the sound of dragging something.

What could the female ghost be dragging?

Could it be... a body?

Ren Hui, crouched closest to the bedroom door under the bed, couldn't stop trembling. Despite not being a complete novice anymore, her survival in the first world had been purely luck. Besides some basic knowledge of horror world norms, she had zero experience in facing enemies.

In the next moment, the knocking stopped, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. But before they could fully relax, the creak of the door being pushed open echoed suddenly.

Dim light spilled into the room.

From Ren Hui's perspective, she could clearly see a pair of feet that clearly didn't belong to a human. One foot looked somewhat normal, but the other was twisted grotesquely, as if forcibly broken, causing the ghost to make dragging sounds as she moved.

Ren Hui's lips parted in terror, but she dared not make a sound. She held her breath, suppressing the scream in her throat, tightly shut her eyes, too afraid to look.

It felt like an eternity before they heard the footsteps of the ghost fading away.

Meanwhile, inside the wardrobe, they had initially observed the outside through the crack in the wardrobe door. Gu Wuji clearly saw a ghost with a pale face and bloody holes on her face entering the room.

As he watched the ghost getting closer to the bed, as if searching for something, even bending down to search under the bed, Luo Kong felt a twinge of sympathy, but undeniably, he breathed a sigh of relief. After all, the death of a teammate might buy them some time to escape.