Chapter 112

Soon, the day of the banquet arrived.

Gu Wujì found a secluded spot and used his disguise kit, preparing for a swift resolution tonight. After all, his disguise could only last for a limited time, and if his identity were exposed at the event, it would undoubtedly become a scandal!

Imagine, the recent rising star, actually cross-dressing at a banquet like this; it would surely make headlines.

In the car, Xia Yangshuo was extremely nervous about the upcoming banquet. Despite his full confidence in Gu Wujì's abilities and his own decent psychological resilience, facing such a pivotal event that could potentially alter the course of his entire life, he couldn't help but feel anxious.

Meanwhile, Gu Wujì began to recall the information Xia Yangshuo had shown him earlier. It was said that although the Xia family was considered a relatively prestigious family in the city, they had experienced a decline several decades ago. At that time, the family head had chosen to marry the heiress, who is now the current patriarch deciding on the heir, to a nouveau riche daughter for a commercial alliance, saving the family's financial situation. Coupled with the heir's own cunning, the family business flourished.

What followed was rather melodramatic, making Gu Wujì feel like he was indulging in someone else's past gossip.

In reality, the heir had a true love, a childhood sweetheart. Consequently, after marriage, he treated his wife with extreme coldness, and there were faint signs of reigniting the old flame with the childhood sweetheart. This sweetheart even provocatively confronted the wife while pregnant. The wife, being a woman of strong character, committed suicide out of resentment, reportedly in a very tragic manner, leaving psychological scars on the people in the old mansion.

The news back then was naturally suppressed, but if one really wanted to investigate, it could still be found, especially since Xia Yangshuo himself was part of the family.

After that, rumors of hauntings began to circulate in the old mansion, and the childhood sweetheart died mysteriously on the night she married into the family. Since then, whether out of guilt or fear, the old patriarch never remarried, nor did he leave behind any descendants capable of inheriting the family.

And now, it seems he can no longer bear this matter, hence the hosting of this banquet, perhaps to restore tranquility to the old mansion before his departure.

Gu Wujì shook his head as he watched, murmuring, "This is a bit unethical, relying on someone else to revive the family's fortunes at first, then later having an affair."

People who straddle two boats like this have always been the ones Gu Wujì despises the most. Although he himself unfortunately stumbled upon the battleground of two fierce ghosts... Gu Wujì could honestly say he wasn't interested in anyone.

"Yeah," Xia Yangshuo seemed somewhat embarrassed, after all, this was also a matter concerning his family. "Initially, the old folks didn't even value her, which led to the tragedy we have now. Master Gu, do you have a solution?"

"We'll have to see when we actually investigate," Gu Wujì replied.

The Xia family must have sought help in exorcising spirits or done something over the years, but the female ghost is still present and accounted for, indicating that this matter is not simple.

Of course, Gu Wujì actually wanted to persuade this poor woman, saying that since she's already dead, she shouldn't keep hanging herself on a tree. She could pursue a new life, maybe start a new relationship or something.

Xia Yangshuo had no idea about Gu Wujì's thoughts and spoke anxiously, "Last time at the bar, such a big incident happened, I suspect it might be related to this banquet, I don't know how things will turn out."