Chapter 11

Finally, from the waitress, they learned that the owner of this inn was indeed the old woman, whose son worked as the chef, while her daughter-in-law juggled taking care of the baby and helping around the inn.

The family of four and the waitstaff all resided on the third floor. The second floor was designated for guests, comprising a total of five rooms.

"These rooms are all for two persons. The bathroom and toilet are at the end of the hallway. The second-to-last room is out of order. It's best not to open it," the waitress spoke up.

Everyone felt a shiver down their spine, imagining what could be wrong with that room.

Of course, while the waitress was a bit friendlier towards Gu Wuji compared to others, she wasn't one to spill everything. She only revealed information players could naturally obtain. Anything else was hard to pry out.

"I was wondering if anything bad happened here or if there's anything strange going on?" Gu Wuji knew the chances were slim, but he still ventured to ask.

The waitress's expression immediately changed, and she frowned, saying, "There's nothing going on here. Don't overthink it, just stay put. And remember, that last door must not be opened."

With that, she hurriedly went downstairs.

Everyone could tell from her attitude that something had definitely happened here, but it seemed unlikely they could get anything more out of this waitress.

When the eight players were assigning rooms, two girls ended up together, as did a couple, leaving the rest of the men to pair up with those they had just met. After all, who would trust strangers at a time like this?

Peng Haocang looked at Gu Wuji with a hint of apology. "Because someone else asked for my help, you'll have to bunk with others tonight."

"It's okay." Gu Wuji didn't mind at all; he wasn't the type who couldn't handle being alone.

Alongside Gu Wuji was a timid-looking young man named Sun Shi, who had been on edge ever since arriving, appearing as if he were constantly on the verge of sheer terror. No one wanted to room with someone who seemed like they'd be a liability, so in the end, he had to bunk with Gu Wuji.

The facilities of the inn were extremely run-down, and apart from two beds, the rooms were bare. The lighting was not only dim but also flickered intermittently, as if it were on the verge of giving out at any moment.

Sun Shi had initially wanted to chat with Gu Wuji to bolster his courage, but Gu Wuji fell asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow, leaving him dumbfounded.

...

In the dead of night, Gu Wuji faintly heard a sound and slowly opened his eyes, only to be met with a terrifying sight.

In the pitch-black room, everything was eerily clear. Sun Shi, lying on the bed opposite, was being dragged by a dark figure. His expression was one of extreme terror, yet he couldn't make a sound or move his body.

Gu Wuji jolted awake, keenly aware that the ghost on the other side had no clear consciousness, merely a low-level entity. He immediately used his ability to control ghosts, although it was an advanced ability, it could only command low-level entities without consciousness to change direction or leave, at most.

Sun Shi, who had already resigned himself to certain death, suddenly felt the ghost gripping him loosen its hold, and the next moment, its form dissipated.

Having narrowly escaped death, Sun Shi took a few deep breaths, but his body remained weak, as if he were completely immobilized, akin to sleep paralysis. He could only look at Gu Wuji with gratitude in his eyes.