Chapter 114

Gu Wuji quickly charged toward the ghostly figure clad in white.

This ghostly figure could only be vaguely made out as a woman in a dress, her face a ghastly white, adorned only by two pitch-black voids for eyes, creating an eerie visage.

Gu Wuji, with a steady gaze, scrutinized the apparition and softly began, "Although I understand you might be filled with sorrow and rage, I urge you to calm down. Engaging in such actions surely weighs heavily on you too. I believe this isn't who you are. More importantly, such behavior is against the law..."

The crowd was dumbfounded, unable to fathom that Gu Wuji had approached the ghost in an attempt to reason with her! How could this possibly work?

Only Ningyang was moved by the scene, feeling proud of the person he admired for their inherent kindness and beauty.

The ghost, seemingly provoked by Gu Wuji's words, extended a clawed hand, intending to end his life—

Gu Wuji looked at the ghost in astonishment, grasped her hand, and reassuringly said, "It seems you too prefer peace."

Gu Wuji had always been puzzled why these spirits seemed so keen on handshakes, a curiosity that had grown during his ventures into these games.

Though the ghost's face was unseen, the suppressed fury within her was palpable, nearly driving her to strangle the oblivious mortal before her.

From below, Xiashi admired the scene, musing, "Where did this fellow come from? Quite intriguing. It'd be a shame if he died just like that..." He squinted and murmured something.

The ghost's demeanor shifted. Hesitating at first, she soon realized the strength in Gu Wuji's grip. Was this guy even human?

If this continued, it might not be her sparing him, but the other way around...

Shocked, the ghost swiftly released Gu Wuji's hand and vanished into thin air.

Gu Wuji: "?"

Silence fell among the onlookers. From their perspective, Gu Wuji's few words had inexplicably made the ghost disappear! How had he managed that? Could the ghost actually be reasoned with?

Gu Wuji frowned, concerned about losing this lead on the so-called prop. It seemed he now had to figure out where the ghost might go next.

He immediately turned to the butler, "I have some questions for you..."

Initially, the butler and others had thought of Gu Wuji merely as a companion to Xiayangshuo, but now they recognized his capabilities. Considering the topic might be inappropriate to discuss in front of Elder Xia, the butler nodded and moved to a private area with Gu Wuji.

"Ask me if you need anything," Elder Xia interjected, breaking his silence, "I'm more familiar with her matters than anyone else."

The surrounding crowd was taken aback; discussing the lady of the house, especially given the past events and the possibility of her ghost still lingering, was a taboo in the Xia household.

Elder Xia's unexpected openness left them in disbelief.

Though others might tread carefully, Gu Wuji was unfazed. Taking Elder Xia's cue, he stepped forward to inquire, "I wish to know the room where the lady encountered her misfortune. Knowing the exact location will help me resolve the current situation."

Elder Xia's eyes reflected a deep sorrow as he instructed the butler, "Take this master there." Then, turning to Gu Wuji, he pleaded, "Please, do no harm to her... if possible, bring her to me."

This request seemed nearly impossible—solving a haunting without harming the ghost? Who could achieve that?

Gu Wuji merely nodded, his demeanor calm, and followed the butler upstairs, with Ningyang eagerly trailing behind, unconcerned about appearances.