Chapter 128

Time was wound back to the moment Gu Wuji and his assistant, along with the staff, encountered the female ghost.

Amid their shocked yet compassionate gazes, Gu Wuji quickly stepped forward to meet her.

As Gu Wuji turned the corner, the ghost in front of him froze, probably not expecting someone to rush over so eagerly. Was this bloke racing towards his demise?

The ghost that appeared before Gu Wuji faced him directly, but her head was twisted in a bizarre manner, 180 degrees around, so Gu Wuji could only see the back of her head.

Where most would likely faint or roll their eyes back in horror, Gu Wuji maintained a sincere expression and even asked, "Hello, I believe you didn't intend to drag us into this. Is there something you need help with?"

The staff and Xiao Zhong behind him were nearly suffocating, yet they couldn't help but admire Gu Wuji's decency, even towards a ghost... Sadly, his thought process seemed utterly alien to them.

The female ghost remained silent for a long while, prompting Gu Wuji to gently place his hand on her shoulder. In that instant, numerous images suddenly flashed through his mind.

The ghost was once a minor celebrity, trapped in a compromising situation by her manager and a wealthy businessman. She attempted to resist but was subsequently ostracized and slandered with baseless accusations.

Before a certain ceremony, out of despair, she took her own life here, but her death was covered up, with very few aware of the truth. Though she became a vengeful spirit tied to this location, she was unable to seek revenge on her adversary.

Recently, however, she felt her bindings loosen significantly, allowing her to exert more power in the physical world. The businessman, thinking the past was behind him, had the audacity to attend an awards ceremony here. The ghost could no longer restrain her rage...

From this perspective, Gu Wuji and the others were indeed inadvertently caught in the crossfire.

What puzzled Gu Wuji was the sudden loosening of the ghost's bindings recently. It seemed like a random event, but something felt oddly amiss to him.

The next moment, screams of terror from the staff and Xiao Zhong pierced the air.

"Watch out!!" "The ghost is right behind you!!"

Gu Wuji suddenly realized that the ghost's head, previously in front of him, was now mysteriously absent.

Turning sharply, he faced a ghastly severed head hanging behind him, its tongue grotesquely elongated, creating a chilling sight.

"Ah," Gu Wuji expressed mild surprise.

The severed head: "..." It seemed shocked, but was that all the shock there was?

"So, you wanted a face-to-face conversation?" Gu Wuji realized, "You could have just said so earlier, and I would have circled around."

The head: "..."

The assistant Xiao Zhong and the staff, still pale from the frightful images they had just witnessed, felt as if their emotional turmoil had been wasted. "Why does it feel like our panic was for nothing?"

"I already know what happened before," Gu Wuji said to the female ghost, sighing deeply. "Those heartless bastards, I will make sure they are brought to justice."

The female ghost seemed touched by Gu Wuji's sincerity, as if finally moved by his genuine concern.

But just as she was about to speak, she seemed to sense something, frowned, and her head and body dissolved into a black mist and vanished.