Chapter 12

Gu Wujì wondered if it was just his imagination, but he felt like even the chef's knife paused for a moment after he spoke.

"Did I say something strange?" he asked, noticing the woman's stiff gaze.

For some reason, Peng Haocang could see a silent emotion in her eyes.

With a hint of pride in his tone, Gu Wujì naturally spoke up, "Don't be fooled by appearances. I'm actually quite handy and enjoy cooking at home."

As he casually squatted down nearby, as if he belonged there, he grabbed another potato and started peeling it. He even beckoned Peng Haocang, "Come on over."

Peng Haocang didn't dare say anything at this moment, so he reluctantly joined in. He couldn't help but notice the woman peeling what seemed to be eyeballs! Yet, Gu Wujì acted as if he didn't see a thing.

Peeling potatoes alongside Gu Wujì, Peng Haocang couldn't shake off the feeling that there was something off about him.

Since a while ago, he had a creeping suspicion that things weren't right. Even if he was cunning, he wouldn't be so blatant about it, right? Maybe Gu Wujì wasn't as scheming as he thought, and it was all just his imagination running wild.

... No, this can't be.

Peng Haocang was momentarily shaken by his own thoughts.

Gu Wujì, with his poor potato-peeling skills, chatted with the woman next to him about trivial matters. She remained silent, not responding to him, and Gu Wujì didn't seem to mind.

As he spoke, he discreetly observed the woman and noticed the occasional glimpse of a wrist beneath her sleeve, clearly showing a severe wound. Though no blood was visible, the fresh red flesh inside was unmistakable. Upon closer inspection, he also noticed faint stitching marks beneath her collar.

Moreover, the child she held in her arms hadn't shed a single tear.

While others might dismiss these injuries as commonplace, Gu Wujì quietly noted them all.

After they finished with the potatoes, the woman, who seemed to have been ignoring them all along, suddenly spoke, "Bring the basket over here."

Gu Wujì nodded and carried the basket towards the stove.

Peng Haocang's heart raced as he suddenly remembered his true purpose for being there. He stared intently at Gu Wujì's back, hoping that if he spoke up later, he would surely be able to...

At this distance, Gu Wujì noticed the chef's skin exposed by his sleeves bore numerous stitch marks. Even his face looked like it was cut in half, with the current one stitched together, looking grotesque.

The chef turned his eerie gaze towards Gu Wujì, his knife showing no hesitation.

"Was breakfast good today?" he asked.

"It was decent, thank you for your hard work," Gu Wujì replied as if he hadn't noticed the chef's monstrous appearance at all, offering a natural courtesy. Then, he turned to leave, courteously greeting the woman as if afraid of being impolite.

Peng Haocang followed closely behind, feeling a cold gaze lingering on his back. He couldn't believe how unbalanced he felt, terrified by someone like Gu Wujì.

The outsiders breathed a sigh of relief seeing them return unharmed, deciding to explore a bit more while it was still daylight. Even Sun Shi, the most timid among them, volunteered to check out the supposedly broken and unopenable room on the second floor.

Gu Wujì and Peng Haocang ventured into the forest outside. Though it was primarily a lodge, who could guarantee there were no clues outside?

However, they soon discovered that the forest surrounding the lodge was enveloped in mist. Anyone who entered would quickly lose their way and end up back where they started.