Chapter 14

"He finally let you go." Shane joked as we walked through the woods. I smiled and laughed, he was looking at me, smiling. I noticed he gave me a look up and down before looking ahead again.

He was about to say something else when church bells started echoing in the air. We all froze and looked in the direction where we heard it.
"Come on-" someone yelled. We all ran towards the sound and saw a white church without a bell steeple sitting pretty in the middle of an overgrown field.
"No steeple, where's the sound coming from?" Lori asked while walking up from behind. Glenn ran up to the side of the church and pressed something, the bells then stopped.
"It's on a timer."

there was a symphony of negative comments about the bell system. I then saw Shane shake his head and storm off into a random direction in frustration. I then saw most of the woman comforting Carol. Sena was standing outside the church, almost as if she was debating on whether or not to go inside. I dropped all my current emotions towards her and walked to her. I knew she acknowledged my presence but she kept to herself. I took a breath, trying to prepare for whatever I was about to get myself into.

"My dad would always take me to the church in town every Saturday.." she smiled lightly thinking back on it.

"I know, you told me one day walking home from high school.." I say, I wore the same smile now. She glanced at me warmly, as if we forgot about everything that's happened. She then looked back at the church doors, she bit her lip, drawing on the same expression she had when I joined her moments ago.

"Can we just forget about the whole CDC thing? I miss talking to you and it's stupid to fight with each other in this world now." I tried to reason with her. She nodded after thinking about it for a moment. I gave her a lame half hug, she laughed, amused at my attempt of hugging her. I then looked inside the church and saw Rick inside, he looked to be praying. I kept my eyes on him a few moments more until I saw Carol slowly walk past us. Her gaze was on the huge carved Jesus on the cross in the front of the room. I then noticed Rick was looking at the same thing. His hat was off in respect, I think. I never took Rick as a religious man.
"I'm going to-"
"I know." She cut me off, knowing I wanted to go to Rick. She had a straight face but she had a supportive vibe. I slowly walked inside and sat three pews behind him to give him some privacy. I could tell he was talking, more like muttering but he looked to be talking to the statue.
"Are you praying?" I asked after a few moments of him being silent and sitting on the pew. He looked behind him to see me. He looked a little embarrassed and bowed his head, putting his hat back on.
"Just... Talking." He said. I walked over to him, he was watching me as I sat down next to him. He was standing up now but once I sat, he slowly joined me. He took his hat off again
"Do you think we're going to find her?" I asked, thinking about Sofia.
He was silent for moments, I looked up at him, he was looking at me while I had my head down. I felt my cheeks redden and my heart race. I then started to think about what he said to me at the CDC. About him caring for me. I looked down at his lips, his breathing was shaky. He looked away, almost reluctantly.
"Yeah... We have to find her." He said, putting emphasis on his have. He said it as if it was his quest to, as if no one else would do it but him. He was bowing his head now
"If you ever need me... Or want me to help you with anything you can tell me. You know that right?" I asked. I know why he doesn't want me to help him with anything because of the night at the CDC, but I don't know if he knows that he told me that. And as every moment ticked away, I started to doubt myself more and more that he actually meant what he said. Sure, he cried over me but... What if it was just because he didn't want to take care of Jamie?

Sena's POV

I stood outside the church, I watched Rick and max talk to each other. I took a deep breath and turned around to see Shane and Lori arguing about something a ways away. I couldn't hear their conversation but it looked heated. Lori walked away from him, he did his signature head rub and walked away. I watched for minutes, Andrea then joined him. They started talking about something as they walked the church perimeter. I then felt someone's presence behind me, I turned around, alarmed, thinking it was a walker but it was only Glenn. He smiled a little at me, knowing he started me. I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to regain my calmness.
"You okay?" He asked. He sat down on the steps of the church. I looked down at him, he was looking up at me, waiting for my answer.
"Yeah... I'm better." I say. I didn't feel as awful as I did in the CDC. I still felt a dreadfulness whenever I thought of the world now but I guess I woke up today knowing that it won't get better than this, and I can't just give up.
I sat down next to him. I liked his presence next to me, it was warm and comforting. He was a sweet heart. I never really knew any good guys before the whole world left. I never was interested in them, I was just concerned being on track to my promising career. Nothing else mattered.
I then looked up and saw Rick slowly walk out of the church. He didn't have any particular emotion, he looked for Lori, his eyes adjusting to the light. Once he found her, he walked off. I then saw Max come out. She sat next to me on the steps. Glenn on my left, she was on my right. I looked at her, her face read that her conversation with him wasn't anything special. I decided to ask anyways
"What did you talk to him about?"
She looked up from bowing her head. She squinted once her eyes adjusted
"Jamie... And Sofia." She says. I started thinking about Jamie. A little tang of panic settled inside me, remembering she was back with dale and T at the camper on the highway. Max must've noticed
"Dale has a gun... She's safe." She said. I nodded, knowing it was silly to be concerned. We all bowed our heads, our own thoughts and concerns running rapidly through our wondering minds.