Chapter 20

I stood on the porch, watching the hot wind blow against the trees and sweep my hair to the side. It was scalding hot, as always. It must have been over ninety degrees and with the sun blazing down upon us with no mercy at all, it made me miss home. Michigan was my home, and I couldn't stop thinking about the average seventy five to eighty degree temperatures in the summer. Georgia was hell without air conditioning, and of course, being in the apocalypse meant no air.

Daryl was out in the woods to find Sofia. Everyone else was here. I didn't have anything to do so I spent my time bouncing from Jamie who was hanging out with Carl to Andrea who was on watch. I was still pretty pissed about Rick and Lori's episode yesterday. All I'm saying is that she's this close to me telling Rick and the whole group about her pregnancy.

Andrea called everyone's attention when she yelled walker. she got up and started to set up her gun and aim to the now approaching walker. I squinted to see it. I then heard Rick yell from behind,

"Don't shoot!" He sprinted with T and another guy from the Greene house on his tail. Shane was running ahead of Rick, he looked like he had other intentions than Rick's.

I watched as they slowly reached the walker, but then they just stood there, doing nothing. I didn't even have time to think about what was happening due to Andrea shooting her gun at the walker. I jumped at the bang, she stood up, proud of herself. I looked back at Rick and heard him yelling in a frantic way. Andrea's smile slowly faded. I then started to sprint to them, seeing if someone got hurt. On the way there, Rick and T were dragging

"Daryl?!" I exclaimed in a shocked tone. I ran up to them,

"Where was he shot?" I asked

"The head, just got nicked by the side but he's out." T said

I looked at the side of his head, and sure enough, there was a mark that was left from the bullet.

"Oh my god.. the bullet just grazed his skull by millimeters.." I say, touching his mark while they set him down on the bed Carl stayed in. Hershel then came in with towels and needle and thread.

"I... I think he just needs stitches." I couldn't even believe Andrea missed by that little. She then came into the room, crying.

"Oh my god, is he okay? I thought he was a walker- I-"

"He's going to be okay. A few millimeters to the left and he would've died instantly." Hershel said, he dabbed Daryl's head with rubbing alcohol. I left the room, knowing Hershel had it covered.

...

"Dinner is ready."

I turn to see Sena with Jamie. I was sitting against a tree, trying to escape the heat.

"What? They made actual dinner?" I asked surprised. Jamie came over to me

"There's cheesy potatoes!" She exclaimed. Sena smiled at Jamie. I looked at the purple sunset, taking one more moment to admire the sky before we all entered inside. The dinner table had a white table cloth and candles lit. Glasses of water and silverware were placed at every seat. I was surprised at how pretty everything looked. Sena already had her seat, Jamie sat to her right and I sat to her left. I sat down, waiting for everyone to sit down. I was minding my own business when Rick walked in, his vibe was careless and rude. He looked angry, furious even as he sat down next to me. He probably didn't even know he was sitting next to me, he was clearly wrapped up in his own thoughts. I then see Lori walk in, she kept to herself and never looked up. She sat next to Rick, I felt extremely uncomfortable as Rick kept stabbing food from the bowls and on to his plate. He drank all his water as if it wasn't anything. He had loud and intimidating motions towards everything. Whether it was slamming his water glass on the table or making loud noises with his knives and fork.

Everyone at the table was as uncomfortable as I was. They were all silent. Lori was as quiet as a mouse and gave Rick a glare every time he made a loud and unsettling noise. Finally after ten minutes, she got up, she took her plate to the kitchen and looked like she was going to cry. It was obvious that they had gotten into a fight. Rick stayed at the table, he crossed his arms across his chest and leaned back in his chair, signaling that he was done.

Sena's POV

Max helped Beth, Maggie, Carol, and Patricia clean up afterwords. As she made it to Rick's seat, she reached over him. I watched as Rick looked at Max with dark eyes. The way he looked at her made me shift in my seat. He kept his eyes on her as she walked out to the kitchen. I kept watching him until he got up and left to go outside, the screen door shut carelessly after him. I got up and went to find Max. She was in the kitchen washing dishes, she looked behind her to see me.

"Hey."

"I'd stay away from Rick." I say bluntly. She stopped the faucet and looked at me in shock that I had just said that out loud, but there was no one around to hear. She ushered me into the living room

"Why? Do you know what happened between him and Lori?" She asked, she was so naive. I looked behind us to make sure there was still no one there

"He looked at you as if you were prey."

Max's POV

I paused, I did not expect her to say that. I looked out the window, it was pitch dark now. I looked at Sena

"Thanks... For telling me." I say. She nodded, she looked in the dining room where Jamie was still sitting at.

"I'm going to put Jamie to bed, we'll be in the camper tonight again." She said as Jamie ran over to her. Jamie was super tired, she leaned against Sena's body, looking as if she was going to pass out.

"Okay, goodnight." I say, I went down to Jamie and hugged her, she hugged back. Sena held her hand and walked out of the house. I stood looking out the windows that looked out Hershel's fields. I decided to wait and see if Rick shows up before everyone goes and hits the hay. I sat on the couch in the living room on the couch, dropping in and out of Beth and Patricia's conversation from the kitchen. After about a half hour, they went upstairs. I decided to leave to go to the camper, it was probably around 11. I opened the door and slowly made my way across the yard when I saw a figure walk quickly over to me. I almost screamed but I held my mouth shut when the lights from inside revealed Rick's face. My heart was beating out of its chest because of him scaring me. I sighed, not wanting to deal with him now since I had my mind set on sleeping.  He looked annoyed that I was there, he almost gave me a glare as if I was that kid at lunch who picked their nose and wiped it underneath the table.

"What?! What did I do that was so bad?!" I asked loudly. I was no longer mad at him for being a dick to me, I was upset and confused. I felt my eyes water, he stared back at me, emotionless. I then pushed him. I don't know why I did that, but I pushed his chest hard enough for him to be placed back a few steps away from me. He looked away, I pushed him again.

"You can't just treat me like shit and expect me not to care! Because I do, Rick, I care about you! I wish I didn't but that's how it is. The least you could do is to stop being such a fucking-"

He then leaned into me swiftly and kissed me. My eyes were wide open, not believing he was kissing me. I then closed my eyes once I realized that this moment wouldn't last forever. I kissed back with the same passion he had. His hand was on my jaw, deepening the kiss, leaving my skin with goosebumps. He then separated from me, staring into my eyes. It must have looked like a scene out of a Disney princess movie where they kiss and lock eyes with one another. I studied the way his eyes were. When he first looked at me, his pissed expression was long gone and replaced with one that made me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world. His eyes lost when he looked at me, he looked at me like how anyone wants to be looked at. Then after a few moments, his eyes turned to gloss and showed his regret and guilt, he slowly slipped away from me. When he left to go to the camper, I collapsed on the ground, not having any motive or thought of going anywhere else. I watched the stars that night through my tears, slowly drifting off to sleep against a tree.

...
Take a looksie at my better Rick content, "Moments", which can be found on my profile!