Chapter 59

Sena's POV

Once we reached the prison, Rick hopped out of the vehicle and brought most of the supplies in. I followed him, he was in a rush to find some way to help Max.

"Hey, aren't we going to go on our walk?" Derek asks me as I was getting the bags over my shoulder, ready to carry in the prison. I looked back at Derek, he was asking about the walks we took around 7pm, we excuse it as a perimeter watch but really it was just us spending time together. I sighed, I wanted to do it but I had a vow that I made to Rick.

"I can't today, maybe tomorrow." I say, he gives a sad look but I held his hand in a comforting way, he smiled a little to know he was okay. I then left him and ran to the prison to start on finding a cure.

"Sena! Good, I need you to help me with finding a solution to this sickness." Hershel says once he saw me enter inside the prison. I smile and he led me to where he kept all of the medical supplies. I set the bag down and he rummaged through the different medications and supplies we gathered,

"Good, we have most of it."

"You mean you have a plan?"

He looked up at me when I said that,

"Maybe."

...

Rick's POV

I went to go find max, to see if she was feeling any better. Once I opened the door to where she was moved in the other cellblock, I saw four dead walkers on the ground. I felt my stomach knot up, I ran over to her cell to see if she was okay. She wasn't there, no one was here. I started to run around the prison, trying to find her.

"Max!"

I was down in the tombs now, where the original quarantine was. I was faced with the glass where max and I talked to each other, there was blood smeared all over it from the inside. I felt my breath catch, I got my gun from my belt and opened the door,

"Max?"

A walker rushed towards me, I recognized it to be one of the governor's people. I stabbed her in the head, she dropped dead on the ground. I called a few more times, wanting to make sure there wasn't anymore. I realized that there were more people in here than the girl so that meant they went somewhere else.

They must be within the prison now.

I went in the quarantine, seeing if anyone else was a walker or alive. I saw some dead people in their bunks. I stabbed all of them to make sure they wouldn't turn. After I knew max wasn't in here, I ran up to the cellblock where the healthy people were to find the rest of the walkers. When I ran up to where my cell was, I ran into someone and when I heard her voice I knew it was max. Max fell on the ground, she started to cough. I went over to her to pick her up and see if she was okay but she held her hand out to stop me. I grew more and more worried with each second and once she turned to look at me I felt my eyes water. Her eyes were bright red, her skin lost a lot more of her color and she was sweating like crazy.

"Don't... Don't get near me." She had a slow pulse, I could tell by how slow she was breathing. She then fell on the ground, I yelled for Hershel once again. She wasn't seizing, but she wasn't breathing. I rolled her onto her back and started to do CPR, I never prayed but I started to when I realized she was dying. I didn't want her to go, I couldn't lose her too. I was crying as I pumped her chest. I yelled at the top of my lungs, trying to get anyone to help me.

"Rick!"

I look behind me and saw Sena rushing up to me. She examined max, she flashed a flashlight on her eyes while lifting her eyelids, she swore.

"Please- please save her." I cried. Max then started to cough up even more blood. I stopped performing CPR, Sena tilted Max's head to the side so max wouldn't choke on her blood.

"We think we made a cure." Sena says into my eyes. I felt hope come across me. I picked max up in my arms and ran behind Sena.

"Lay her down." Hershel says once we reached his lab. He gave Sena a bag of clear fluid, she started to stick a needle in her arm,

"What is that?"

"Fluids, she's dehydrated."

I watched as they started to help her, I stood back and watched as max struggled to breathe.

"What is it? A pill?"

"It's an herbal medicine I learned in med school." Sena says. I watched as she gave max another cup of tea. Max was barely conscious,

"Max, we need you to take this before another episode happens." Hershel says,

"Does she have to take it now? Can she even drink it?" I asked

"She has to take it before another seizure happens... We don't know what will happen if she has another." Sena says to me. I watched attentively as max slowly sipped the tea, I went over to her and held her hand after she was done.

"How- how do you feel?" I asked her, I stroked her hair, I wish I could make her feel better. She looked up at me with her eyes.

"Like shit."

I couldn't help but laugh a little, she still had some of her humor left. I kissed her hand and remained by her side until she fell asleep. I then thought of when I was trying to find her, and when I saw the walkers.

"Hershel, the infected people are turning." I say, he looks back at me, it was the first he's heard of this. I could tell by his reaction,

"How long have you known? I just checked the quarantine centers this morning."

"Just before you helped max, I was trying to find her and the other cellblock had four dead walkers."

"Have you seen Glenn?" Hershel asked.

"No, Why?

Hershel swore, "how about the other center?"

"People were dead, I stabbed the rest that were dead."

Sena and Hershel looked at each other, Sena nodded as if she understood and walked past me, pulling her knife out and walking out.

"Stay here with max. I've got to tell the others to go on lockdown." Hershel says, he leaves me with max and closes the door behind him. I went up to lock it, I turned around and looked at max who was still sleeping. I went up to her by the side of the examination table and held her hand.