Chapter 65

I watched as Rick and the governor talked at each other. Rick was rejecting the governor making the group leave, he was standing strong with his decision, I was beginning to think that the governor was running out of options.

Until he thought of Hershel and I.

He ordered his goons to retrieve us out of the truck, and once Rick saw me fall out of the truck and land in the tall grass, his face sunk. I kept my eyes locked on his as they set me in front of all of the vehicles and the governor's people. I was on my knees, hands tied behind my back, Hershel by my side.

"I'm giving you one last chance, Rick." The governor says with a tired tone, I then feel a katana being drawn to my neck, the blade could be felt against my skin and it made me still. I kept my eyes on Rick, he looked desperate now.

"You could live with us. All of you, the prison... It's big enough for everyone." Rick tried to reason, the governor's hand on my shoulder tightened,

"I don't want to live with you, Rick. Your people are dangerous, you've proven that too many times." He then paused, he took my chin and forced my head back, he took the katana and placed It on the center of my throat,

"It's your choice... You leave now, or she dies."

"We can't leave- we have children here. We have the old and the sick, people who are trying to heal from a sickness. We can't move now, we're too weak."

The governor took his knife away from my neck, he left to go to Hershel where he held the katana to his neck.

"It's not too late, we can move on from what's happened. We can forget..." Rick reasoned, the governor stood there, completely still. Almost as if he was considering the choice of living with us. His eyes stared straight, right on Rick as Rick stood there praying for him to not do anything rash.

"Liar." Once the word escaped his lips I knew Hershel was dead. The governor sliced Hershel's neck open with the katana, Rick yelled and shot at the governor. I sat there in shock as Hershel's dead body fell on the ground. Gunfire was all around.

"MAX!" I heard Rick yell. I looked over at him. He gave me a short glance before he jumped to the ground to take cover. I saw that the governor was holding his arm, blood was soaking through his hand, he'd been shot. I took the chance to escape. I ran behind one of the vehicles to take cover and to try to get my hands loose. I had tears in my eyes, I was still crying over Hershel. I was was shaking from all that was happening around me. I was rubbing against the back of the truck, trying to roll the rope off of my wrists, once done, I searched for a weapon. I was walking behind a vehicle when a person fell from above, they were shot dead. They had a knife in their belt, I took it and edged around the corner to see if it was clear for me to leave. There was no one, but as I was about to run to the fence, the tank was turned on and it ran through the fences. Everyone started to leave to attack the prison, I ran behind them to find Rick in the yard.

"RICK!" I yelled, the gunfire was loud and walkers started to emerge from the woods. I couldn't find him anywhere, so I figured he wasn't in the yard anymore. I ran up from behind the vehicles and managed to kill three people on the ground. The prison group was still shooting at the governor's people, I was going up from the yard to the prison to find some of the others when I was tackled to the ground. I yelled in pain as I felt their body collide with mine, I heard his growl and he yelled,

"I'll fucking kill you!" The governor was on top of me, he started to strangle me, his mouth was dripping with crimson blood, some of it fell onto my face as I was beginning to lose my strength for fighting for my life. I started to stab my knee into his crotch, one hard swipe made him groan in pain and fall to the side, I got up and tried to find a weapon. He started to stand up, he then pulled a gun on me, before he could get the right aim for me, I dove into him to knock him on his back, the gun fired, a stray bullet flew by my head as I tackled him to the ground. When we both fell, my eyes watered and my head was dizzy from the piecing sound of the gun by my ear. I tried to strangle him while regaining my clear vision back, he then flipped me over and forced me onto the ground with great force that made the air vanish from my lungs. I choked and sputtered as he was about to strangle me again but someone tackled him, forcing him off of me. I got up and coughed, I looked to see who it was and saw that it was Rick who saved me. He was now punching the governor beneath him

"You fucking piece of shit!" Rick yelled at the top of his lungs, he was relentlessly punching the governor, I've never seen him so angry and it made me get up and step back. I watched as Rick kept beating up the governor, but the governor stabbed his knee into Rick's stomach, Rick clenched the area and fell, the governor started to strangle Rick.

"Rick!" I screamed, I had to find a gun, something to kill the governor with or else this cycle of Rick and I getting beat up by the governor would continue on. I searched for a weapon throughout the weeds, but I turned around to hear the governor yell in pain, I saw michonne standing behind the governor with her katana impaling the governor's chest. He was on his knees, his hands removed from Rick, he stood there frozen until michonne extracted the sword from his body where he finally fell to the ground, sputtering and gasping for air. I ran to Rick who was beaten bloody on the ground, I held his face and looked into his eyes, I was crying.

"Ma-ma-max, you're okay- you're okay..." He says with relief in his eyes, he then hugged me, I hugged him tightly and kept crying.

"I'm so sorry- I'm so sorry I was gone..." I cried into his shoulder, he held me awhile longer until he separated from me and looked me in the eye, he had his hand on my face, his eyes went from my eyes to my lips before he gave me a sweet and long kiss. When we separated we both had the same idea to find Carl and the girls.

When I looked to see michonne, she was gone. I guessed that she had gone somewhere safe, I helped Rick walk up to the prison where all was quiet now, the war must've ended while Rick and the governor were fighting.

Smoke filled the whole area, making our eyes water and our lungs ache. I helped Rick the best I could as we walked to the prison, I then saw Judith's carrier which was empty. I felt my lip quiver and my heart collapse, knowing that Judith was gone.

"No... No- no..." Rick's voice cracked, he moved away from me to go to Judith's crib, he cried out. I then heard footsteps behind me, I turned around to expect someone from the governor's group but it was Carl. His cowboy hat tilted and dirty,

"Carl!" I exclaimed, I ran up to him and embraced him, happy he was okay. He didn't hug back, instead he separated from me, once he did, Rick ran up to hug Carl tightly. He cried as he held him,

"Dad, where's Judith?" Carl asked when he saw that the carrier was empty. When Rick didn't answer, because he couldn't, and when he started hugging Carl tighter, Carl got the idea that Judith was gone. Carl started to cry and hug his father back, I looked around, desperate to see anyone from afar like Sena or glenn, but no one. I then started to panic when I saw walkers from the woods approach the burning prison and before I could earn Rick, he was already coming up from my side to wrap his arm around me. He needed mine and Carl's help to walk, we both provided for him as we walked away from the prison.