Chapter 54

Max's POV

A month has passed since the governor attacked the prison. We took his people in who were asking for shelter from him. He went crazy after the prison attack and started shooting at all of them. As for us, Derek is staying with us; a decision made by Sena and Rick. I didn't have an issue with him anymore since Sena pleaded he was innocent, and that he wasn't apart of the attack. Derek and Sena have been getting along and have been hanging around one another a lot, so she doesn't hang out with Jamie as much anymore. I gladly took the responsibility to watch Jamie, ever since we were separated from the farm we didn't interact with one another like we used to. I also watched Judith as Rick took part in farming with Hershel in the prison fields.

"We'll get you new clothes soon. I promise." I say to Jamie, we were both in the tower, I was keeping watch. I kept glancing over at Rick, watching him as he talked with Hershel about plants or something. Hershel then leaves Rick to do something, Rick looks up at me in the tower and smiles. I blew him a kiss, he then jogged towards the tower, I hear the door open from below me, he walks up the steps and greets me with a kiss. His arm wraps around my back to bring me closer to him, I smiled as he kissed me. Jamie's 'ew' couldn't be ignored, we both smiled and separated.

"And you always said you didn't like him." Jamie says with a giggle. I chuckle and feel Rick's eyes on me, he gives me a nudge.

"You talked about me? And you didn't like me?" He teases, I smile,

"We weren't always on good terms like we are now." I reminded him, he kisses my neck once and lingers away as he walked towards Jamie.

"How are you today, sweetie?" He picks her up with an easy swing of his arms, she giggles loudly as he tickles her. I smile and watch as she hugs his neck with her small arms. Since Jamie has no parents or anyone to look after her, I treat her as my own. And since Rick and I are a thing now, he offered to take care of her with me.

"It was good, Max says you and her are gonna get me clothes." She whispers into his ear loudly, he played along with her in the whispering part, he looked at me and smiled and whispered back to Jamie,

"Did she mention the toy we were going to get you?"

"A toy?! What kind?!" She exclaimed excitedly. Rick and I laugh, he looks at me again and whispers in her ear,

"The stuffed dog you showed us in the magazine." Rick says, she squeals and laughs, hugging Rick tighter. Rick lets her down after she's done hugging him and she runs to me.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou." She says quickly, I hug her and she grabs her toy and hugs my leg, "I wanna go see Carol, she's telling stories to the other kids."

I look at Rick, he nods, "Okay, let's go."

Jamie leads, Rick and I follow her. She runs to the prison and inside.

"I'll go drop her off, make sure she gets there safe." I say, Rick kisses me and I walk away. I met up with Jamie in the prison, she and I go to Carol's spot in the prison where she teaches the kids how to read. We walk in and all the kids on the floor looked at Jamie and I. Carol stops her reading to see who it is, she smiles at me and stands up.

"Hey." She says

"Hi, Jamie wanted to go to story time today, sorry we interrupted." I say as Jamie goes over to her friends. Carol shoos the air, giving me the idea that it was fine.

"It's okay, I love Jamie, she's so sweet."

"Yeah, she is." I smile and look at Jamie who was talking with her friends now.

"So.. How are things with you and Rick?" She asks with a smirk, wanting details. I laugh, amused at how she asked.

"Things are great, they really are." I smile, I then feel someone's arms wrap around me from behind. I knew from his cologne and his muscles that it was Rick. I giggled and felt him give me a short kiss on my cheek. Carol smiled as she watched us,

"It looks like it." She says, referring to how spontaneous Rick was being right now.

"Okay, we'll go now." I laugh, knowing we were keeping Carol from reading. "Thanks again, and she knows to go to our cell afterwords."

"Sounds good, see you guys."

We walked out, I nudged Rick in the arm, "I told you to stop doing that in public." I smile

"I know you like it." He nuzzles into my neck and kisses, I sighed,

"And Patrick was looking at you again." Rick points out. I sighed, Carl's friend likes me and it ticks off Rick. Rick doesn't particularly like Patrick because of it.

"You're mine." He states in a low and gravelly voice that made me shiver. He nibbles on my ear and then kisses me. We were against the wall of the prison, his breath was shallow and fast as he touched my body.

"Can you two give it a rest?" Carl groaned from behind. We both looked at him, his face showed how annoyed he was. He rolled his eyes and walked away. My hand left Rick's face, he sighed,

"He hates me, Rick." I say sadly, he hushes me and holds my face,

"He does not."

"He hasn't talked to me since we came out as a couple, and he avoids all costs to talk to you when I'm with you."

"How do you know?"

I gave him a look to knock his oblivious act off, "You aren't protecting me by lying to me."

"I'm not lying to you."

I raised my eyebrow, giving him an unimpressed look. I walked away from him. He follows,

"Just try talking to him, he'll warm up eventually." He takes me into his embrace and kisses me.

"Meet me at the tower in ten." He says with a smirk. I smile back and roll my eyes once he's gone, keeping the smile on my face still. I was walking to our cell to grab pillows and a blanket for the tower when Carl started walking towards my way. He was avoiding eye contact with me, but I still talked to him anyway.

"Hey, Carl." I say, trying to get attention. He turns around once he was past me, he faced me with his straight expression. He had his dad's hat on, the metal in the front was gone, leaving just a golden hole where the pendent used to be. It was bitter sweet thinking about the days back at the farm.

"What?" He snaps, I sigh, wishing I hadn't done this right now. All I wanted to do was get back to Rick, I should've dealt with this tomorrow but there was no going back now.

"Carl... I remember the days we'd talk, we got along in the beginning." I say,

"That was before my dad was screwing someone closer to my age than his."

I looked away, knowing the wound was still sore, "is that why you don't like me? Because I'm close to your age?"

"I don't like you because my dad moved on from my mom a month after she died. Just a month." He snaps, he takes a deep breath trying to calm down, "and ever since you came into the picture, all he cares about is you-"

"Carl!"

I turn around to see Rick standing behind me. He was furious, he had been listening to some of it, or maybe all of it.

"Go away! You're only making me hate you even more!" Carl yells at him, he was about to storm off but Rick yelled at him once again, making Carl turn around to face him,

"Max has been an asset to this group, your mom, me, and you. She deserves your respect."

"She helps you a lot, doesn't she, dad?" Carl asks sarcastically and then walks away. I stood still, I looked at Rick without turning my head. He sighed, he walked up to me,

"I'm sorry, he doesn't mean it."

"What if he does?"

He wrapped me up in his arms, he kissed the top of my head and held me.

"We just have to keep trying." He says.