Chapter 47

"You can't go-" I was saying to Rick as he packed guns into the trunk of the Honda. He was going to have a one on one meeting with the governor.

"You should be resting." He points out in a cold tone, I stammered on my words, this wasn't about me- it was about him.

"Rick, you're going to get killed! He doesn't want to talk!"

He then finally got enough of my paranoid talking, he faced me and said, "I'm going. End of discussion. Now go inside and lay down before you fall down."

He hopped into the car with Hershel who was in the passenger seat. I then hear Daryl approach me from behind, "Sorry, darlin'. I'll keep your prince safe." He teases, I was about to say something when he closed the vehicle door. Rick and them flew down the dirt drive.

...

Rick's POV

I kept my mind occupied by the thought of Max. I tried to play it low-key with my caring for her because of everyone in the group. If they found out their leader had a thing for a girl at least 15 years younger than me, I'd be stoned to death.

"Don't worry, Sena is taking care of her for the time being." Hershel says, I snap out of my thoughts and looked at Hershel, wondering if he really said that. When he was looking at me, I knew he said that

"Wh-what?" I asked

He smiled. He spoke again, a little less vague this time, "Sena is taking care of Max while you're gone."

I heard Daryl snicker in the backseat which pissed me off even more

"Why do you say that, Hershel?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Rick. I know you care about that girl a whole lot."

I scoffed, I knew I couldn't play it off anymore

"Does everyone know? How is it obvious?" I asked

Hershel coughed, he then says, "Well, you do go into her cell at night and check on her."

"And I see ya stare at her all the damn time." Daryl adds in the back. I looked at Hershel in disbelief that they picked up on all of that shit.

"Don't tell anyone. Especially her."

"She thinks you hate her, Rick."

I was about to say something else when I decided that it was none of their business. It was between max and I, no one else.

"She does not- her and I are just like all of us to each other, someone we survive with. A group member.. Nothing more and nothing less." I say, thinking that was the end of it, until Daryl says,

"So you look at my ass when I'm not looking too like you do with Max?"

I groaned, showing my frustration. Hershel and him laughed together.

...

When we arrived at the meeting place, Daryl and I got out of the car and scoped the place out. Hershel stayed in the car with the engine running, just in case if anything happened. I led while Daryl covered our asses, someone then popped in front of us with a baseball bat, a Hispanic looking man, he didn't look threatened at all by Daryl or I.

"You rick?" He asked me, I nodded, Daryl kept by my side with his crossbow to his eye, ready to shoot the man at any given moment. The man gave Daryl a glare and flipped him off,

"Well, where's your governor at?" Daryl asked the guy impatiently. The man looked at Daryl then me,

"Follow me. And tell your bitch to get that thing out of my face."

"It'll be in your face if ya don't show us where he is!" Daryl was getting worked up now, I was afraid he was going to make the man pull something on us. I separated the two, letting Daryl calm down. Once he was calm, the guy led us to a pull barn where our car was parked originally. I gave Hershel a nod, saying it was okay, he nodded back. The other group had an obnoxiously big truck parked by us, a slender, pale, awkward man sat outside the pull barn door. He looked up at us, nervously, the Hispanic man opened the door for us, Daryl was about to come in with me when the man said he couldn't.

"Why the hell I can't?" Daryl asked, I sighed, he was out of control right now.

"Daryl." I stated loudly, he looked over at me, he obeyed my tone. He then walked away from the both of us, cussing silently. The man closed the door, leaving me in the dark to find the governor. A few steps inside, I saw him sitting at a table, he looked at me. He smiled a mischievous smile, lifting his hands in the air, as if I was the man of the hour.

"I've been waiting..." He says.

Him and I talked about everything from my group attacking Woodbury to his group attacking a few days ago. We tried to settle things on us making a border, separating the both of us. But that didn't work for him.

I sipped on the whiskey, him bringing up Lori made my thirst for alcohol undeniable. He watched me as I drank,

"I want the girl."

I looked up at him, setting my glass down. I didn't know what he meant, so I asked, "what girl?"

He smirked, looking away, as if he knew something I didn't know. I was getting the idea he was talking about Max, but I didn't know why he would want her. She didn't do anything to him.

"Max... I want max."

I clenched my jaw, I was clenching my fist under the table, I tilted my head. I was worried now

"Why? She didn't do anything."

He laughed loudly. He then took his eye patch off of his eye very slowly, revealing his scarred eye. I was praying to God that she didn't do that. He was looking me straight in the eye, he then bowed his head,

"I want max. She needs to pay for what she's done."

I was about to speak, I was going to protest, but he cut me off

"If you give me Max, I will leave you and your people alone." He says, he saw that I wasn't won over by the idea yet, and frankly I never would be. But he kept trying, "your son and new daughter will be spared... All of your friends- hell, even your prison will be." He then paused once more, "for one life, against all of those."

I looked up at him. He was giving me a small smirk, he then put his eye patch back on.

...

When we were done, I was furious. I opened the pull barn door with miraculous strength, it made a huge bang as the mental clashed with the wall. I saw the Hispanic man looking at me with surprise, I saw Hershel sitting with the awkward guy. I then see Andrea standing there, she walked up to me, seeing that there was a problem

"What- what happened?"

"He wants max." I say coldly. Her mouth fell open slightly, she was in shock. I pushed past her, Daryl hopped in the car, Hershel slowly made his way with his leg. Once everyone was inside the car, I started to speed off with great carelessness.

"What happened, Rick?" Hershel asked

I didn't answer, I was wrapped up in my thoughts. I then hear him ask again with a louder and more commanding tone.

"He wants max."

Hershel grew silent, the whole car did as I raced back to the prison.