Chapter 68

I woke up to the sound of knocking on the door, Rick and I both got up off the couch, he took his gun and cocked it, I had my dagger out. We were both at a stance, he looked at me and I his eyes were saying to stay in my place as he went to the door and looked through the peep hole. He stood there for a moment, as if he couldn't see who it was. He then departed from the door with a smile, he slid down the door down to the floor like he was exhausted and couldn't stand anymore. I stood there, confused out of my mind.

"Who is it?" I asked impatiently, he looked up at me and chuckled,

"It's michonne."

I felt my eyes widen, I quickly pulled the entire couch away from the door, once the door only had the knot Carl tied to the doorknob, I started to cut the rope. Once it was gone, I opened the door and michonne dove in to hug me. I hugged her back, I teared up. Michonne was there to save me back at the farm, she survived with me when I was most alone, she was one of my best friends.

When we separated from one another, she looked at me and smiled, she then looked at Rick who was now getting up from the floor.

"Do... Do you guys know if anyone else is alive?" Michonne asked, she asked with a serious tone. Rick turned his head and motioned upstairs,

"Carl is. I don't know of anyone else, though." He says. Michonne nodded, sad to hear that it was only us, not like she was disappointed but because it was only us.

"I found some food from the other houses and you both look hungry." Michonne says, she leads us to the kitchen and then sets up some cereal boxes and cans of soup. I took the cereal and munched on it, Rick called Carl down. Rick sat next to me, Michonne joined us.

"So, how have you guys been? It's been... What? A few days since the prison...?" She asks. I look at Rick, I then look back at her,

"Well... Rick had some kind of a coma which scared the living hell out of me." I stated, Rick snickered at me, thinking it was funny. He patted my thigh,

"A coma?"

"He wouldn't wake up even when I started doing CPR. He didn't even have a heart beat- I mean... He must have had one but it was so faint..." I say in amazement, I was still shocked he came out of that and I was even more thankful that he did. He looked at me with a loving gaze, he glided his hand up and down my thigh in a comforting way. We looked back at Michonne, Carl then came up from behind her, he froze when he saw that she was here. Rick and I both smiled at him, Michonne turned her head to see why we were smiling and then she saw Carl.

"Carl." She says in an inviting way, he hugged her.

"How'd you- when did you get here?" Carl asked with excitement.

"I got here a few minutes ago... You shouldn't walk in mud, I could track you down like that," Michonne says with a smile, she snaps after like that to indicate that it was easy to track us.

"So... Is this permanent?" Michonne asked us, we were done with breakfast and Carl was in the other room reading. I looked over at Rick to see what he was thinking, I didn't want to stay here. We needed to find-

"No, we need to find the others. I don't know how-"

"I can try to track them... But being out there, there's a better chance of finding them." Michonne explained.

"I'll go scavenge for any supplies for the road," I say to them, I then kissed Rick's cheek, "make sure he stays here please, he's on rest duty." I directed to Michonne but then teased Rick at the end.

"But I thought Michonne said she already looked at all these houses?" Rick looked at Michonne,

"I wasn't looking for weapons." Michonne informed,

"I don't know if you should go alone." Rick says in an unsure way, I sigh,

"Rick, I'm fine. I can handle myself-"

"Just take Carl with you. You guys need some bonding time." Rick says. I looked out in the living room where Carl was reading. I knew he still was iffy about me but Rick was right, maybe he'd come around.

"Okay." I said, I walked up to Carl and asked him if he wanted to go with me. He looked up from his book and locked eyes with me,

"He still doesn't trust you?" Carl asked in a condensing way. I sighed,

"Rick, he doesn't want to go-"

"Carl!" Rick yelled from the kitchen. Carl glared at me and walked past to get to the stairs,

"We'll leave in five." He calls while he walked up. I stood there, I looked at Rick with a desperate expression, begging him to not make me do this. He shrugged, Carl came down with his gun and we were off.

..

The whole time was silent, we were on the third house and had five more to go. We had found some steak knives and a box of ammunition. I was looking through a dresser, trying to find any kind of weapon when I heard Carl yell in distress. I ran over to him, he was on the other side of the hall in a room. He had a walker on top of him and another was about to fall on him. I ran over to the one standing and stabbed it in the head, I then moved to the other which was on top of Carl and killed that one too. I pulled it off of him, Carl crawled away from it.

"You're welcome." I say; I didn't expect him to say anything back,

"Thanks." I heard him say from behind as I walked out. I heard him follow me down the hall,

"Look, I said I'm sorry, max." Carl exclaimed, I turned around to face him.

"Well, then why do you act like you hate me still?"

He stood there, he had a frustrated vibe to him, "just imagine if your dad was dating someone just three years older than you-" Carl started to say, I was tired of this.

"I can't help it, Carl! Like I said, your dad is into it-"

"Yeah, yeah, as much as you are, I get it." He shooed the air, not needing to hear me say it again. He then paused, "just give me some time... I'm trying." Carl says. I stood there for a moment, thinking about what he said. I nodded, agreeing to give him time. I left the hall to go clear another room.