Chapter 15

I sprinted through the tall grass of the fields. I felt the weeds whip across my legs and cover my jeans in buds and other things. I heard Rick's yelling and panting behind me, which was the only thing making me act this way. I had tears in my eyes, I then look behind to see the man who shot Carl making his way across the field slowly.
"Come on!" I scream at him. I was an emotional wreck, I felt my adrenaline pumping through my veins and I felt the cool air sting my cheeks. My voice was hoarse and raw as I screamed at the man, making him run faster towards the white farm house.
Once I reached the house, there was a girl around my age on the deck. Then a white haired man came out, curious about the commotion outside. I looked back at Rick who was a few paces behind me, I was at the bottom of the steps.
"Please- help us- he's been shot." I manage to say. The brunette girl came down to me and held my arm in comfort, helping me up the stairs. The man led us inside.
"Patricia, get clean towels, sheets..." The man started ordering. Rick got inside with Carl, I pushed past the girl and helped him carry Carl to the bed. Carl was unconscious. I tried to remember what to do when someone gets shot. I was so worked up, I couldn't think straight. I then saw Rick crying beside him. My heart shattered even more than it was, the pieces shattered into thousands more, making me snap into reality.
A woman with curly blonde hair came in with a tray of scalpels, I took the first one I saw and ripped Carl's shirt, exposing his abdomen. I saw the blood and the hole where the bullet was lodged in.
"What are you doing?" I hear the white haired man ask behind me.
"I- I know what to do." I stutter. I then hear a familiar voice say my name from behind, then I was pulled back from the bedside. The man took charge, I looked to see who called my name and pulled me back, it was Sena. She had a worried expression on her face. I hugged her finally, she hugged back.
"I.. I can do it- I can help- help him." I stutter now separating from her.
"No, max, you aren't in the right mindset-"
"I can!" I yelled
"Take her out, Maggie." The white haired man said while pressing his stethoscope to Carl's chest. The brunette girl started to usher me out. I stopped fighting.
I then heard ricks frantic voice from the room, he was ushered out too. He looked blankly in front of him, his forehead was dripping in sweat. He then left outside, he walked out on the deck, wiping his face with his hand. I went outside and joined him. My episode was over, I wiped my eyes.
I went out to him. He was leaning against the post of the deck, he looked back at me. He looked at me with his blue tear filled eyes. His lip quivered and his breath shook. He wiped his forehead again with his hand, leaving behind a bloody mess. I got a towel from inside, I came back and started to wipe his forehead gently with it, cleaning him from Carl's blood. He was watching me as I did this, I then looked into his eyes. His eyes showed how devastated he was, making my now shattered heart pieces turn into powder. He looked away, in front of us. His eyes were still watering
"Lori... Lori doesn't even know." He said. I looked at the fields.
"Where are they?" I asked
"They're... They're still looking for Sofia...." He paused, "she doesn't know- she doesn't know." He repeated, his voice cracking. I took him in my arms, he hugged me back as we stood on the deck. I watched the fields. I held him closer and tighter.
"He'll live, Rick." I say.
..
Rick and I sat next to each other on the couch, waiting for news about Carl. Sena was helping operate on Carl, we waited for Maggie to return with Lori. Otis, the man who shot Carl was sitting across from us in the living room. He looked as nervous as both of us. He looked at me for a moment then looked at Rick who was staring at the door.
The door opened, the man's name was Hershel. He was wiping his hands with a damp rag, both Rick and I rose at the same time, ready for news. Otis rose after us. Hershel looked at Otis then t both of us.
"The bullet is in fragments... We need to get in there and remove them before it nicks anything. He isn't breathing on his own, he's still unconscious."
"You're opening him up?" I asked, realizing what he was saying. He looked at me with a strained expression
"Yes.. Are you as experienced as your friend in there?" He asked, talking about Sena. I nodded. Rick looked at me, he didn't look okay with the idea of me operating on Carl.
"He's going to need blood." Hershel said to Rick.
"I'm his blood type. I'll- I'll give anything." He said.
"Get him prepped and ready..." He was waiting for me to inform him on my name.
"Max." I say. He nods. I look at Rick, Hershel walked away. Rick looked slowly at me.
"When's the last time you've eaten?" I asked. He looked weak. Too weak to give blood healthily.
"I'm... I'm fine-"
"You aren't." I say firmly, he looked at me, surprised at my coldness. I was still a mix of emotions but I was not going to have Rick pass out or worse from being too weak. I took him to the kitchen and looked for food. I saw bread and peanut butter. I made him sit down, he looked blankly in front of him as I made him a sandwich. I then took it to him.
"Eat it-"
"I'm fine-"
"I swear to god, Rick, just because your kid is shot and I understand you're going through hell right now but you are going to eat that damn sandwich because I am not going to risk you getting sick too." I order. He was looking into my eyes as I went off at him. He then gulped, finally willing to eat the sandwich. I sat back a little, watching him as he slowly chewed away.
...
"If you feel dizzy, tell me." I say now finding his vein on his arm. Even in this time of urgency, I was enjoying feeling his muscular arm. I finally injected the needle, his blood ran through the tube. He was looking at me as I made sure the tubes were correctly connected. I didn't notice until I looked up at him. He didn't look away when I looked at him
"Thank you." He said. His voice soft and hoarse. His face was blotchy from his crying. I gave him a small smile. I got up and saw Sena looking at me. I walked out of the room, she followed me.
"Carl is going to need some supplies in order to survive the operation. You need to promise me to stay here, you can't go." Sena said into my eyes. I looked back at Rick who was watching Carl
"I... Why? Sena, I can't just-"
"You're going to be performing the surgery." She said. I felt my breath hitch, I couldn't speak.

...
Take a looksie at my better Rick content, "Moments", which can be found on my profile!