Chapter 98

I felt the heavy set of darkness fall upon me once I realized I was going to have to bury a man I killed. I was beginning to think of ways I could escape, excuses-- like sorry, I can't come because I have a fever. I shook my head, all of the excuses I thought of were ridiculous. I couldn't turn back now that I was on the porch of the house where everyone was. People like Sasha and Rosita rushed out, fixing each other's styled hair while going to do something. No one seemed to notice me or maybe not care that I was here, but I didn't take it personally. That was until I saw max come out from the house, the screen door shutting carelessly behind her as she fixed her earrings. I saw her already today but seeing her this close was breath taking. She didn't notice me although I was a few feet away from her. I was about to talk to her when Luke rushed up to her from inside.

"Ready?" He asks her. She nods, she then grabs his hand and they walk down the steps together, hand in hand. I felt my jaw clench. I didn't know what they were and I was angry at myself for thinking about something so shallow on a day where I was supposed to be honoring someone I killed. I heard Carl say from behind me,

"She's probably just doing that to comfort him." I turn back to see him dressed up with Judith in his arms. She was calm. I was surprised he said that, noticing I was watching her. I didn't say anything, I picked Judith up from Carl's reach.

"I know you still care about her. You used to look at mom like that in the beginning of it all."

I looked back at him, I was realizing how mentally mature he was now. Of course, he's grown in height and his voice has deepened but his intellect has matured most of all. I smiled at Carl and patted his back.

"Let's go get this over with." I murmur. We both left the porch to follow everyone else going to the service.

Once we arrived, there were two holes dug next to one another. It was by fence, I examined the metal beams holding the huge walls up. Two bodies wrapped in sheets were by each hole. I looked over at Luke who was watching them with a blank expression, but his eyes showed his remorse. Max had her head on his shoulder, rubbing his arm with her hand in a comforting way. Again, my jaw locked.

I then removed my attention from the couple to Gabriel who was speaking now. He had a bible in his hands and his attire was cleaner than yesterday, he must've gotten it washed.

"We come here today to honor the lives of Nick and Pete, son and father-- brother and father of Luke..."

I looked around, seeing everyone's faces wearing a saddened expression. Luke's group was more emotional, I mean they were closer so I understood.

The rest of the service went like any other, stories were told and tears were shed, I was antsy to leave. I wanted to wander the town to check out the in's and out's that were here. When Abraham and Derek placed the bodies in the vacant holes, Luke started to cry harder. I felt terrible, but I knew that I had some justification to his brother's death.

Max's POV

When the funeral was over, everyone went to their own ways. I was hugging Luke who was now crying into my shoulder.

"I know... I know..." I tried to comfort him. He then separated from me and wiped his eyes. He brushed himself off and looked at the holes.

"Can I be alone with them for a minute?" He asks me. I nod, I left him to be alone. I thought I was going to go back to the house but I saw Rick waiting against someone's house, looking at me. He had his arms crossed and one leg over the other as he leaned against the structure. I walked up to him, I turned back a few times to see if Luke was alright. Once I reached Rick, I admired his shaven face.

"Hey, handsome." I say, I probably shouldn't have said that but I was trying to lighten the mood a little. He chucked,

"Why are you just sitting here?" I asked just out of curiosity. He bowed his head then looked at me,