Chapter 17

Carl's eyes slowly opened, I rose from the chair, so did Rick. Lori stroked his face while murmuring some comforting words.

"Dad?" Carl first said, Rick got up, he made eye contact with me first seeing if he could stand up now. I nodded, he regained some strength while Carl was resting for the last day. He held Carl's face,

"Hey bud..."

I left the room, I went to the camper to go sleep.
...
I woke up with Jamie laughing and Sena shushing. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Jamie smiling and looking at me while Sena was trying to get her to be more quiet. I smiled and got up.
"Hey, Jamie." I say. She went over to me and hugged me.
"Are you a doctor?" She asked me. I looked at Sena who was standing a few feet away from me looking in the cabinets.
"Kind of... I'm not a full doctor, but I know some stuff- a lot of stuff." I say. Everything happened before I could graduate from high school. I still needed 5 years of college.
"You fixed Carl, he's not sleeping anymore."
"That's good, I'm glad to hear that." I say. I look at Sena again who was looking for something
"What are you doing?" I asked her
"I'm trying to find something to eat."
"Don't they have anything cooking?" I asked now looking out the window. I saw the group hanging up clothes and walking around. Rick was probably inside still with Carl.
"I'm going to go check up on Carl." I say. I was expecting some kind of sarcastic comment about me going to see Rick. But nothing came out of Sena.
I walked into Carl's room. He was laying in the bed, conscious, talking to Rick. Rick looked a lot better. His uniform was clean and he had his color back. And plus he was smiling.
"You get to join the club..."
"Hi, Carl, how's it going?" I asked walking up from the doorway and by his bed side. I felt ricks eyes on me but I tried to focus on Carl's fluids.
"I'm good. Thank you for doing the surgery, max." He said. I looked down at him, surprised he said anything about that.
"You're welcome... I'm glad I could help." I say. I then looked up briefly at Rick who was watching me then left the room. I walked down to the camper when I heard Rick call my name from behind. I stopped and turned around
"Max, I never got the chance to thank you." He said while walking up to me. He made full eye contact the whole way.
"It's really fine, it was supposed to be my job-"
He came up to me, inches away from me and looked me in the eyes
"Is there anyway we could repay you?" He asked. I bit my lip, I paused for a moment. My mind then shoved the thought of Rick on top of me. I almost choked right then and there, I stumbled a little.
"Are you okay? When's the last time you ate?" He asked now grabbing my arm so I wouldn't stumble again. I looked up into his eyes, I wanted so desperately to kiss him but we were right in front of his wife and the rest of the group. And not to mention that it would've been totally wrong and unjustified.
"Where's Shane?" I asked, ignoring his concern. I got my arm back from him
"He's upstairs sleeping-"
"Thanks." I say now walking up to the house, leaving him.
...
Shane was up in the kitchen fixing himself orange juice. I walked over to him
"Hey." I say
He looked up and nodded
"Morning."
He walked over to me
"You okay? I heard you did the surgery on Carl."
"Yeah, I'm fine."
He nodded. He then kissed my cheek, he separated from me, looking into my eyes
"You're a great kid, max."
He started to walk away, I turned around to face his back
"I'm an adult!" I say frustratedly. He chuckled and looked back at me in the doorway. He winked and left.