Chapter 77

Sena's POV

I woke up around 4am, it was still dark outside. I slipped out of the covers that kept Derek and I warm. He had his arm around me but he was a heavy sleeper, I managed to remove myself without waking him. Once I was up, I scanned over everyone who was sleeping. I didn't see Rick nor max, I was concerned for a moment until I realized who they were

They were probably somewhere doing it.

I sighed softly, rolling my eyes as I walked past their vacant sleeping bag. I went to the kitchen and found myself swallowed by a comforting darkness. It almost reminded me of my house back in Michigan, when I got ready for school and looked out the window to see complete darkness outside. I then heard shuffling upstairs, it caught my attention to the point where I had to go to the end of the banister. I looked up the stairs to wonder if I should go up there. I then heard some miscellaneous things drop on the floor from upstairs, like books? I decided to go upstairs to at least make sure that everything was okay.

I walked down the hall, I heard frantic whispering. I went to the door that was a little cracked open, I saw Rick and Max inside the bathroom. Max was fully clothed, thank god. Rick had his shirt off but he seemed to be getting dressed. Max was sitting on top of the sink, her hair messy, I assumed they just done it.

"Rick- I can't live like that, I don't want to. I didn't even want one before shit hit the fan." She spoke to him in a worried way. She held her hands up to her face, she was stressed about something. What didn't she want?

Rick turned to face her, he had his shirt on. He took Max's chin and guided it so she'd look into his eyes. I was beginning to have a bad feeling about this, I was getting the vibe that he wanted her to do something she didn't. I waited though, to make sure what I thought was really what was happening before I would snap his neck.

"Max, I'm not asking you to go through with it- I'll go out tomorrow and find some morning after pills and birth control pills-- Condoms for god sakes, but I'm telling you, I don't want it if you don't want it..." He kept talking to her in a comforting way. She didn't say anything. I stood by the door, in complete shock. How could they be so careless? She didn't want a kid-- she never wanted one, and now she was pregnant?

Maybe she wasn't pregnant, I thought. My mind was racing, I had to go downstairs, I left them alone. I would ask her about it later. For now, I decided to return to Derek who was still fast asleep. I was grateful as I slipped into the covers that we were not even thinking about having a baby or getting married or anything adult-like. I enjoyed our youthful relationship that was more like a friendship. I smiled and snuggled into him, enjoying the smell of his cologne as it hung in the air between the warm blanket and the hard floor. I couldn't go to sleep though. I kept listening to them upstairs, making sure nothing happened between them, like a fight. So I just stayed up until I heard them come down the steps and go to bed.

...

I woke up when I heard laughing. I assumed it was Abraham because it was booming and broad. It came from the kitchen, I looked around the living room and saw everyone had folded their blankets and put their pillows into a pile. Derek was gone which made me feel a little bad about sleeping in, I got up and folded the blanket, I then headed in the kitchen. I saw everyone getting food for themselves from a buffet kind of set up. There were eggs, fruit, and bacon. I saw Derek getting food, before I could get to him, he turned around and saw me. He smiled, he was so cute I thought. His smile was still dazzling white through months of struggling to find tooth brushes. He came over to me,

"Hey, I made you a plate." He sets it down on the window sill, I smile at him.

"Thanks." I kissed his cheek, he ate some bites of bread,

"Hey, have you seen max?" I asked him. He shook his head,

"No, her and Rick were gone when I woke up. Glenn and Maggie were up when they left, though." He tells me. I nodded and went over to Maggie who was leaning against the wall and watching everyone get their food. She turned to face me when I approached her, she smiled.

"Hey, do you know where max and Rick went?"

Her smile faded into a slightly open- mouthed expression, she looked over to Glenn before she led me to the other room to talk.

"They... They told me that they needed to get morning after pills." She says in a discrete way. I nodded, I had a feeling. But I was confused as to why no one went with them.

"Did anyone offer to go with them...?" I asked

She nodded, "yeah, Glenn and I did. We understood what that feels like." She referred to the panic of being pregnant, "but they said they wanted to go alone and they'd be back by noon. They've been gone for an hour, so when it's noon Glenn and I will head out." She explained. I nodded,

"Thanks."

I went back to Derek who was eating more food, he looked up at me,

"So, what's the news?"

I shook my head, dismissing it. He nudged me, not liking my answer.

"Just know that when we do it, we will have condoms and birth control." I told him quietly. He almost choked on his strawberry. He looked over at me, he couldn't believe what I had just said

"You mean... They went to go get...?" He didn't finish. I nodded. He stared blankly in front of him,

"They screw a lot." He comments. I scoffed, I shrugged. I didn't know what to say, I just hoped that they would find the stuff and come back soon. I don't think max would enjoy being a mom in the apocalypse.