Chapter 29

I was on struggling to walk through the heavy amounts of leaves on the ground in the woods.

"Rick!" I screamed, walkers from around me started to come towards me. I pushed past them barely, I didn't care, I lost everything that I cared about in just a short hour. I then dropped to the ground when I fell over a stick or a rock, I didn't know or care at this point. Walkers were about to kill me when I heard a swish, and then the walker groans stopped. I looked and saw a caped person with walkers on chains, standing in that stance, the sword glistened in the moon light. I stood there in shock.

..

"You won't talk about that day... Why?" Michonne asked me. She was asking me about the day she saved me back in the woods after the farm burned down. I was sitting against the wall to a small hardware store back room. Andrea was right next to me, she was sweating and shivering, she had the flu and it didn't look too well. Michonne stared at me as she waited for me to answer

"Why does it matter?"

"Because, you won't get better until you talk about it."

"What? You were a therapist before?" I asked

She laughed, "No, but I know that you're being eaten up by it."

Andrea interrupted with another coughing fit, I got the bottle of water and gave it to her, she stopped coughing and drank the water. She looked miserable

"Just leave me... Just leave me here." She says.

"No, that isn't happening." I say, not even outraged by the thought because she says the same thing everyday. "We've been good by ourselves for the last 9 months, Andrea, we'll be okay."

"The warm weather is coming, stop your moaning and let's go." Michonne says, she opens the door to the outside and her walker pets were standing there in chains. She grabs their chains and starts walking out. I help Andrea up and carry everything, we walked down the road to where we think there's a river.

On the way down the road, I saw a cloud of black smoke coming from the woods by us,

"What is that?" I asked, michonne saw it too, she was looking at it with great concern, she didn't answer but she started walking into the woods, we followed her.

When we got there, it was a helicopter on fire, it had to just have crashed,

"Do you think there's any survivors?" Andrea asked, michonne watched from a tree, I walked up to the scene

"Max!" Michonne hissed, I didn't pay any mind to them, I came up to a dead passenger who died from being crushed, another person was inside, I didn't see any damage from his body. I walked up closer to see if he survived but I heard a truck roll up from afar, I ran back to Andrea and michonne, we all watched as a truck came up.

They were all men, a Mexican looking guy got out and seemed to be looking around to secure the area, we hid from afar, he was looking away from us so we were safe. Then another guy came out, he was wearing a black vest- he was very tall and was white. He had a hand gun in his gun belt and walked up to the men. The man in the vest started to get the man out of the helicopter out of his seat, they dragged the man in their truck, maybe he was alive I thought.

Then I saw a familiar looking face emerge from the truck, only with a new hand.

It was Merle Dixon.

He walked around to where we were hiding, michonne was getting nervous, so were her walkers who were relentlessly groaning and growling. They started to draw attention to us, the men looked our way, michonne then swiped her sword them, cutting their heads clean off. Their bodies fell, their noises stopped. I looked at michonne, in awe that she just killed the walkers that she's kept for the last nine months I've been with her. She looked disturbed at what she had just done but forced herself to look at the men again. I then heard a gun cock behind my head, I was doomed I thought.

"What's this? Is this officer friendly's group members?" I hear Merle say from behind. Andrea passed out when she saw Merle.

...

We rode back with them, I was in between michonne and Andrea who was laying on me. I don't know what she passed out from, they said they had a medical center back where they came from. Michonne and I came because Andrea needed help and Merle threatened to shoot us if we didn't come with.

"So.. You three survived out there.. All winter?" We were inside the doctor's room with Andrea. She was conscious now, barely able to keep herself up. The doctor gave her fluids, michonne didn't answer as she laid back in the chair, wanting to leave and making sure everyone in the room knew it. So, I was the only one who could answer

"Yeah." I say shortly, I didn't trust this place yet. The guy's name is The Governor I guess, he's the town's leader.

"I know you might feel weird about this... About being here, inside and not out there. But I assure you, there's nothing here to harm you." He says, his eyes gazed into mine, I looked at michonne, seeing if she was buying any of this bullshit. She wasn't, she stood up and the governor didn't seem intimidated by her, she didn't care though.

"She needs to stay a few days to regain her strength." The doctor said, michonne looked at Andrea who was laying in bed with tubes everywhere.

"There's a house where you can stay-"

"We aren't staying." Michonne said coldly

"You have to stay a day for your friend... She'll die out there if she doesn't regain her strength back." He says, michonne looked at Andrea, I knew she changed her mind.

..

"You can take the bed." I say, I was looking out the window, they had torches lit on the street for lights. Andrea was in the medical center still, michonne and I were here for the night.

"You know I'm not just gonna fall asleep being here." She says, she was sitting on the window sill, looking out the window. I slid down the wall and sat down on the ground. She looked at me

"What is it?" She asked

"I can't sleep."

"You never go to sleep... Just for a few hours but that's all... Why?"

I felt my heart ache thinking about why, and the reason was Rick. Telling him that I loved him and him not saying anything back kept me up at night. Remembering his lips and his touch made me lay awake in bed, sleeping was long gone after the night at the farm.

"A guy I knew... I just... Miss him." I say.