Chapter 41

"RICK!" I screamed while I slashed through walkers on the way to the fence. They were everywhere now, around maybe 20 of them were in that truck, all of them were by me since they had sensed I was in the field.

"Agh!" I yelled as I swung my arm across one of the walker's face, swiping the side of its head with my first. I swore in pain, my first thought was to examine my wounds, to see if there were any cuts or bites that I hadn't noticed during my fight off but when I heard Rick's yelling, I saw him trying to hold up a walker, he was against the fence as a walker was snapping at him. I ran over to where the fences had been torn down, I then saw Daryl and Merle helping Rick. Once I realized Rick was safe, I tried to catch my breath. I would've ran over to him to hug him and other shit like that but since he doesn't like me anymore I decided to check my wounds by myself in the prison.

Sena ran over to me, asking me if I was alright, I answered yes, I was okay and I just needed to get it cleaned and bandaged. I determined that it was from my knife,

"How do you know if it's infected or not?" She asked me as I went to a random cell, seeing if there was anything I could use.

"I don't, so if my eyes start turning yellow and I start biting Rick then you'll know." I joked,

"I can see you doing the Rick part anyways." She jokes, I give her a glare, "he hates me, so if I'm biting him, it's my zombie way of saying fuck you." I explain. She hands me bandages and peroxide,

"Are you sure you just want to bandage this up? Looks like it needs stitches-" she starts to say, holding my hand. I took my hand back, "no, no, I don't want stitches-"

"It's not if you want them... It's if you need them, and I think you do." She says. I look down at my cut on my palm, I sighed,

"I don't know, let me just clean it first before we start hacking away." I was grim about getting stitches. In my mind, I knew I would need them but I still had a shred of hope that said I didn't need them.

I sat down on the steps that led to the second floor of cells. I dabbed some cotton swabs with peroxide, I took a deep breath and pressed the cotton on my hand. I then yelped in pain, the cut started to bubble and fizz with white, it was definitely cleaning my cut.

"Max- I'll do it." Sena says, coming over to me and taking the cotton and peroxide. I then closed my eyes tightly, I squeezed my other fist shut, trying to relieve the pain in any way. I then heard a door open and close, I didn't pay any mind to it since I was trying to not scream,

"Rick, could you come over here?" I hear Sena ask. I opened my eyes and looked at Sena, Rick was in the doorway, he was the one who opened and shut the door. Rick looked like he was just caught with his hand in the cookie jar, he looked at Sena and then me. Him and I locked eyes, his eyes flickered,

"Sure." His voice raspy and soothing. He came over, I noticed that he had the same boots he had back at the farm and CDC. He was wearing dark skinny jeans, the same ones he wore the last time I saw him with a tan button up shirt with a little chest hair showing at the top. He was still dirty from getting attacked, he came over to Sena. He glanced up at me, trying to be as nonchalant as possible but I knew.

"Can you hold Max's hand? She has a helluva cut and she needs to stay still for me." When she asked Rick that, my head snapped up to look at her. I couldn't believe she was being like this. She glanced at me, then returned to my hand. Rick was still standing there, not loving the idea of holding my hand. I already knew he wasn't going to hold my hand, and with the pain from Sena cleaning my cut made me yell,

"Get the hell out of here if you're just going to stand there!" I looked at Rick with angry eyes. His facial expression hadn't changed from a straight face but his eyes flickered, as if he didn't know how to react. I was clenching my fist. I then hear Sena say,

"Max.. You're going to need stitches." She breaks to me, I sighed, a small whimper came out from my throat, knowing how much that shit was going to hurt. "I'll be back with a needle and thread." She leaves me alone with Rick. I look down at my cut, I could see the different layers of skin split open, I closed my eyes and bowed my head, not wanting to do this.

"Are you just going to stand there?" I asked, tired of dealing with him. He was looking at me the whole time, I raised my head to lock eyes with him. He was about to say something when Sena came in with the needle and thread, I gave it one look and made a face, showing how much I didn't want to do this.

"Rick, you might want to leave if you aren't going to help." Sena says, she looks at me and gives me a reassuring look. Sena took the needle and pressed the tip against my skin where the cut was, I bit my bottom lip, closing my eyes, trying to think of something pleasant.

"AGH!" I screamed when she pressed the tip through my skin, I felt blood drip down my hand, I then felt the familiar calloused hand slip into my own. I opened my eyes which had tears in them, his eyes read how sad he looked seeing me like this. He was letting me squeeze his large hand, I yelled and cried out in pain. It went on for a few minutes, sweat dripping down my forehead, I was seeing everything in a blurred state.

"Are you okay?" I hear his voice, I looked at him, I nodded and got up, my legs wobbling, he then made sure I didn't fall by wrapping his arm around my waist. I didn't have the energy to fully appreciate what was happening but I was celebrating inside.

"I'll take you to my cell." He says with a voice so calm it made goosebumps appear all over my body. He guided me to his cell where some of his clothes were thrown on the floor. He then placed me on the bed, putting a blanket over me.

Sena's POV

I watched as Rick placed max gently on his bed. He was tucking her in his blanket, she wasn't moving at all so I guessed that she was asleep. He stood there for a few moments, watching her. His eyes flickered as he watched her, he then slowly went into kiss her on her head. He got up, I quickly turned around and made it look like I was gathering the bloody utensils from the ground, but when I thought it was safe, I heard him say,

"Thank you." I looked back and saw him by the door, about to go outside.

"For what?"

He looked back at her cell, he gave a small smile, it was small but meaningful smile since I haven't seen the corner of his lips raise for the past nine months,

"For what you did." He says vaguely, but I understood what he meant, when I asked him to hold Max's hand. He then leaves.