My Imperfect Mr Perfect Chapter 3

Angel. That's the first word that came to my mind when I first saw her. She was wearing a yellow salwar suit, munching on jalebis as she walked to a shop which belonged to her family, I had presumed. As she walked down the street she spoke to almost each and every person she saw and gosh, could she talk?! Looking at her I wasn't sure whether she could stay silent for five minutes! But it wasn't these qualities which held my attention. I had seen many beautiful girls in my life - I mean I must have with the number of girls who have tried throwing themselves at me in the hope of getting my attention. But all those girls never held my attention for more than 30 seconds. This girl however, had me absolutely enchanted. What held my attention was her smile. No - in fact it was her whole aura. The beautiful smile never left her lips, and it was so infectious that she spread her happiness around to everyone she met. She just had this positive aura about her that made everyone around her want to be happy too, just like her name. Khushi.

I had been ordered by the police commissioner to secretly follow and protect a girl called Khushi. He had given me the case details and he had assigned me to handle the case. I have always been proud of the fact that I am one of the best police officers in our whole force. That was because I was the only one who didn't mind taking risks - I was the only one who was not scared by death. My job as a police officer was to protect the innocent and punish the criminals, and I would go to any extent to do that job. It was not as though any one would care if I died. The only person who would care if I died was my Dadi, but even she'd only be upset because there was no one to carry the family line forward. I mentally sniggered at that thought.

This case was extremely dangerous, which is why the Commissioner gave me the case. When I read the details of the case, I felt sorry for this girl almost instantly. As I read all the information gathered by the detectives about her, I realised that she was innocent and the poor girl was caught up in a very messy and dangerous web without even knowing it. At that instant I vowed to myself that I will save this girl no matter what.

As I spent months watching over Khushi's every move, I realised that she had such a pure heart. Everything about her screamed purity. What had me intrigued beyond anything was her selfless love. Generally, the one thing we can never get enough of is love, and the one thing we never give enough of is love. But this girl was something new altogether. Looking at her you would think that all the love in the world was locked up within her one tiny heart, and she gave it out so freely just like her infectious smiles. She cared for everyone - whether that was her Buaji, Jiji, her neighbours, or a mere stranger. She played plenty of pranks alright - I can never forget the day she changed the ringtone of the dhaba owner who had insulted the hungry children and had refused to give them any food. But then again her pranks were absolutely harmless...

Her biggest strength was her selflessness but then that itself was also her weakness. She didn't see the bad in people very easily, and when she did, she would forgive them very easily for their mistakes. People could easily take advantage of her innocence and I was glad that I had been assigned to her case - that way I could always protect her from all the harm that came her way.

My sense of protectiveness for this girl was increasing day by day and I had a faint idea as to why, but I didn't want to think about that. I wanted to avoid these sorts of feelings for good. She reminded me of someone I did not want to think about. That was a chapter of my life which I wanted to keep closed. Forever. Just the way I had promised myself that I would keep myself closed to everything and everyone. I had learnt life the hard way, and I knew that feelings and emotions only made you vulnerable. People preyed on you and stepped all over you. I may have been that prey once, but no more. Never again.