My Imperfect Mr Perfect Chapter 14

He took her into his arms, burying his face in the crook of her neck, taking her by surprise. "I didn't mean to shout like that Khushi. I was... I was-"

"Worried," Khushi finished off for him. A surprised Arnav pulled back to look at her face, still keeping his arms around her. "Hum samjthe hain. (I understand)" Khushi said, smiling.

"Don't smile Khushi," Arnav said sternly. He wasn't going to shout at her, but that didn't mean that he wouldn't get his thoughts across to Khushi. And he knew he had to speak sternly to drill some sense into this crazy girl.

Khushi remained smiling, thinking that Arnav was just saying that because he was very worried. But that was a bad move on her side.

"Don't smile Khushi," he repeated with gritted teeth, controlling himself from shouting at her for taking all this as a joke. "Yeh koi mazaak hai tumhaare liye? (Is this a joke for you?)" he asked, raising his voice slightly, wiping off the smile on Khushi's face. "Khushi you have NO idea what I went through today. What if I'd lost you damn it?! What if I'd lost you?" he asked, tightening his arms around her waist, bringing her body closer to his unknowingly.

Khushi just sat there looking at him blankly, not knowing what to say. Even though he was telling her off, all she could see was the care and concern in those eyes. And also something which seemed very close to... fear?

"Arnavji I'm fine," she reassured him, while cupping his face with one hand, trying to soothe him.

"Fine my foot!" he cursed. He unwrapped one of his hands from her waist and took hold of the hand on his face to show her the wrist with red marks on it, while being carefully gentle with the hand. "Is this what you call fine' in your language Khushi?" Arnav asked, getting even more worked up. "Huh Khushi? CHOT lagi hai tumhe! (You've been INJURED!) How in the world is this fine?'"

"When you can't take care of yourself, why the hell did you leave damn it?!" he questioned in frustration. When she just sat there blankly he continued. "Ok forget that! This morning you came to me yourself and made me your so called friend right?' Is this what a real friend would do? When you were thinking to leave did you even think about me for a second? What Dadi had done was unforgivable, but didn't you think that you could at least TRY speaking to me about your problem? No, you didn't. Because you don't even consider me as a friend - everything that happened between us this morning was just a bunch of meaningless words from your side."

"Of course not!" Khushi exclaimed. She started to feel slightly guilty for walking out of the house like that. Maybe she should have talked to Arnav about it and found some kind of solution. But then she didn't want him to fight with Dadi, and knowing his famous anger, that's exactly what he would have done if she'd told him what had happened. So what was she to do?

Khushi's had whole-heartedly accepted Arnav as a friend. Being the very bubbly, cheerful girl she was, Khushi had many friends. And now Arnav had also become one of them. But although she only knew Arnav for a few days, she knew he was special. First of all there was that attraction thing that she still didn't quite understand. Secondly, he was just someone she trusted with her life for some reason. And thirdly, he was Ratna Maa's son. So here, Khushi knew that he was more special to her than all her other friends, but he was complaining that their friendship didn't mean anything to her! How was she supposed to handle this?

"Of course that's how it is! That's what your actions suggest!" retorted Arnav. "For the first time in years, I actually thought I could trust someone," he said with a bitter smile, "but you proved me wrong. When there's nothing between us, why should there be any such thing as trust? "

"No that's not true!" exclaimed an exasperated Khushi. Arnav was about to retaliate, when Khushi closed his mouth with her palm.

The feel of her palm touching his lips, made Arnav freeze on the spot. It was as though her one touch washed away all his anger. He just sat there mesmerised, relishing her touch which was like a soothing balm on his wounded soul.